forty - "seattle grace mercy west hospital" - forty

"For most people, a hospital is a scary place. A hostile place. A place where bad things happen. Most people would prefer church, or school, or home. But I grew up here. While my mom was on rounds, I learned to read in the O.R. gallery. I played in the morgue. I colored with crayons on old E.R. charts. The hospital was my church, my school, my home. The hospital was my safe place. My sanctuary. I love it here. Correction: loved it here."
-Meredith Grey, S6E23, "Sanctuary"

"The human life is made up of choices. Yes or no? In or out? Up or down? And then there are the choices that matter: to love or hate, to be a hero or to be a coward, to fight or to give in, to live or die... Live or die? That's the important choice, and it's not always in our hands. Yes or no? In or out? Up or down? Live or die? Hero or coward? Fight or give in? I'll say it again, to make sure you hear me: the human life is made up of choices. Live or die? That's the important choice... and it's not always in our hands."
-Derek Shepherd, S6E24, "Death and All His Friends"

"No way."

"Yeah."

"No freakin' way."

"Right?"

"Oh, my god. O- okay. Um... were you trying to g-"

"No. Total accident. I used the thing."

"Oh, so are we happy, uh, about this? Or are we exercising our legal right to choose? Okay. All right. Congratulations. Let's hug it out."

"There she is." Dr. Bailey greeted Anna, who exited the elevators, with a smile on her face.

"Hi, Dr. Bailey." Anna greeted, suprised at her upbeat mood. Maybe seeing Ben had something to do with it...

"Happy late birthday, Anna. Some residents told me to direct you to their locker room." Dr. Bailey put a hand on her back, leading her to the door. Anna knew what was coming before she even opened the door.

"Tonight's the night I've waited for
Because you're not a baby anymore"

Anna stood in the door enterance as she watched Meredith, Cristina, Lexie, Callie, Arizona, and Teddy loudly sing to her as they danced around the room surrounded by decorations and balloons. Alex, Mark, Richard, April, Avery, Owen, and Derek stood back and watched.

"You've turned into the prettiest girl I've ever seen
Happy birthday, sweet sixteen"

They stopped singing and everyone clapped with laughter. Anna stepped into the room and went in for hugs. Arizona hugged her first.

"This wasn't my idea, Anna! It was all Meredith!" Derek shouted from the back, causing even more laughter.

"Cristina helped too!" Meredith defended herself.

"Well, thanks... I guess." Anna laughed, "I didn't expect the singing. I'll admit that."

"Yeah. Well. Your birthday's an important day... even if we're doing this late," Meredith grinned, "And it's... it's just a special day today."

"I'm out of breath from the dancing..." Callie turned around with a birthday cake in her arms as Teddy lit the rest of the candles.

"Oh, God! Don't let them sing again!" Anna shouted, blowing out the candles as everyone laughed and cheered.

After Anna greeted everyone, and the cake was being taken into the conference room with a table, she thanked Meredith, "This was you, Meredith. I know Cristina. Cristina couldn't care less about decorations... and all this. Thank you. You didn't have to."