fifty - eight - "zola limbani" - fifty - eight

"They say there's one sure sign of a successful negotiation. It's that when the parties leave the table, they feel like they have been screwed. The goal is a compromise, a situation where everybody wins. They say that negotiation is an art form. Yet, when we negotiate, we have a strategy. We use tactics. Strategy and tactics aren't words we use for compromise. These are words for going to war."
-Meredith Grey, S9E15, "Hard Bargain"

"There is a procedure to treat epilepsy that involves surgically severing the connection between the left and right brain. The goal is to block signals that cause seizures. The problem is this also cuts off the brain's ability to communicate with itself. The left side has no idea what the right side is up to. They patient may experience problems with coördination, memory, speech. There's a reason surgeons are willing to roll the dice on a risky, go for broke, point of no return surgery with potentially devastating consequences. Sometimes, it works."
-Meredith Grey, S9E16, "This is Why We Fight"

"To a critically ill patient, an organ transplant means a new start, a second chance. But the body is designed to fight off any outside invader. Even one that's trying to save it. Because a transplant doesn't guarantee that it's an easier life. There's a threat that the body will reject the organ outright. The transplant process is very scary. A patient goes from worrying about getting an organ to worrying if the organ will be rejected. The anxiety continues until they can finally open their eyes after surgery and see that their gift has been accepted."
-Meredith Grey, S9E17, "Transplant Wasteland"

"Work keeps our minds active. It keeps us out of trouble. When we're not working, our hands are idle and the Devil will find work for idle hands to do. And when you have an idle mind, well, that's the Devil's playground too. At first, idleness can seem like a welcome distraction. The troublemaking and the fun. Everyone needs some idle time to focus on something other than work. Even if it means focusing on something that's a little bit scary. Stepping back from work is the only way to get perspective. And it's only after we have everything in perspective that we remember where our hands truly belong."
-Meredith Grey, S9E18, "Idle Hands"

"You guys, come on. We have to do this. We have to buy the hospital."

Anna woke up to the sound of Zola rustling around in her crib. She got up, hearing Callie's voice coming from the livingroom. When she walked in Zola's room, she found Zola standing up in her crib, holding onto the railing. Sofia was asleep next to her.

"Hey, Zo." Anna rubbed the sleep from her eyes, smiling, as she picked her up, "What's wrong? The rain wake you up?"

As if on que, thunder could be heard along with the pouring rain hitting against the roof.

"It's okay." Anna softly shushed her, as she began to whine, bouncing her on her hip. Arguing from the baby monitor on the changing table caught her attention. It was Arizona. Anna turned it down, not wanting to wake Sofia, and held it up to her ear as she quietly listened.

"Oh, God. Will you two stop it? We are not spending this money. If I have learned anything in the past year, it's that we don't know what's coming around the corner. Anything can happen, to you, to me. Anything. And our daughter deserves as much protection as we can give her. And we have the chance to not worry no matter what happens, a chance to be prepared should the worst happen..."

As Meredith made her way into Zola's room to check on her and Sofia, Arizona's yelling could be heard from the baby monitor and even louder from the livingroom. Sofia woke up and started crying.

"Some of us died. And some of us are gonna live with challenges for the rest of their life. And you, you got the money. And then you got your hand back and you got your career back, and I think that you feel guilty. I think you feel guilty about your decision to sue and I think that you feel guilty about having all this money. And now I think that you want to be the one that comes in and saves everyone, and you have to be the hero. And it's selfish and it's egomaniacal, and now it's affecting my family. So just stop. Okay? Everything that you've done to make it better has actually made it worse. So please stop."