eighty - nine - "dr. sweetheart" - eighty - nine

"When I was little, I once asked my mother, "How do you tell people such bad news?" "You tell them the truth," she said, "but you tell them the best version of the truth you can come up with." My mother also never told me I had a little sister, so grain of salt. My mother said, "Tell the truth. Just tell the best version of the truth you can." Because the truth is gonna come out sometime. And the one thing you can't do with the truth is hide from it. Because the truth is gonna come looking until it finds you."
-Meredith Grey, S15E4, "Momma Knows Best"

"Every day, we're surrounded by people who ask how we're doing. But when surgeons ask how you're doing, we genuinely care about your answer. Your answer to "How are you doing?" tells us how good a job we're doing at taking care of you. Unfortunately, caretaking outside of medicine is usually more complicated. Surgeons are trained to provide care for others. Some biologists believe that it's human nature to help. Scientists believe we're biologically programmed to empathize. I think it's one of the reasons our species has lasted this long. We have an innate instinct to support each other. You can only take care of yourself for so long. Because, let's face it, some problems are way too big to carry on our own."
-Meredith Grey, S15E5, "Everyday Angel"

"The poet Octavio Paz once wrote, "The Mexican is familiar with death. Jokes about it. Caresses it. Sleeps with it. Celebrates it." I can relate. But in a hospital, death isn't celebrated. It's avoided at all costs. And when it comes, it's clinical, almost routine. But still, with all that practice, even surgeons are surprised by death. Especially when it happens to the ones we love. Every religion, every country, every culture. Death means something different to all of us. We all have different ideas about how to honor the dead, different ideas of how to grieve, different ways of moving on. Well, I may not be an expert, but I do have some experience with losing people I love. And I say the right way to grieve is however the hell you want."
-Meredith Grey, S15E6, "Flowers Grow Out of My Grave"

"Scientists devour textbooks and data in an attempt to understand the world, to gain confidence or clarity, to be prepared. Surgeons are the worst offenders. We study for decades and stare down the barrel of worst case scenarios. We ignore sleep and friends and food and sex and actual real life so that we're ready for anything. So we know what to expect and know there's nothing we can't handle. The problems with all the how-to, step-by-step books is they don't take into account the exceptions to the rules. They never leave room for the outliers, the geniuses, the miracles. Because books are black and white and everything in real life is a messy shade of grey. So nothing can truly prepare us for the beautiful, painful things we never imagined possible. Or the moments no one ever saw coming."
-Richard Webber, S15E7, "Anybody Have a Map?"

"When we're hurt, our body sends signals to form blood clots directly at the injury to help stop any bleeding. It's our body's system of checks and balances. It's a system that's supposed to save our lives. Or so we hope. Sometimes, our body's signals get messed up and our fail-safe goes haywire. Instead of making clots, our body destroys them. And the thing that's supposed to help us only hurts us. It means we start to bleed and everything shuts down."
-Meredith Grey, S15E8, "Blowin' in The Wind"

The dark clouds blocked the sun as Anna watched the sky while sitting in the passenger seat of Colton's car. She had a day off from school and they were driving around, silent and content with each others presence. Anna rested her head against the window, watching the afternoon Seattle traffic catch up with them until they were stuck, barely inching forward. She was so zoned out, she didn't even notice Colton plug in his phone and skip through his music.

"Anywhere in mind?" Colton asked, breaking Anna away from her intense thoughts.

"Nope. I'm just tired of seeing the same houses, the same streets, and the same people everyday."