eighty - seven - "dream house" - eighty - seven

"In your first year as an attending surgeon, you're told to take babysteps. Look for the easy cases, the sure wins. No sense of making an ass of yourself. Better to rack up some easy victories. You can't avoid bad outcomes for your whole career, but you can sure try. 'Cause getting a bad reputation can finish you before you start. We define ourselves by our actions, but it doesn't mean we have to live by that definition. We can change our own story. We can refuse to accept the way people define us. We can work like hell to escape a bad reputation, only to wonder if we succeeded. It can be hard to shake the mistakes of the past. They'll always come back to haunt us. But one thing we never do. We don't stop. We don't quit. We get up and re-join the fight."
-Meredith Grey, S14E21, "Bad Reputation"

"Before surgery, we ask patients a series of questions. Do you have a job to return to? Do you have a support system at home? We’re screening for mental illness. Anxiety, depression, delusions. We need to make sure you’re of sound mind. We need to make sure you know what to expect. But if we check patients for mental illness, why not surgeons? Someone should really get on that. Fixing your mental health isn't like surgery. You can't just run the blood work and check the vitals. With mental health, progress is way harder to measure and if something's wrong, we have to take action. There's a lot of uncertainty. There's a lot of fear. And what might be easy for one person, for someone else might take inner strength you can't even imagine. But we have to try. We have to stand up to our demons. We have to face reality whenever possible and ask for help when we can't. And when we do that, healing is possible."
-Meredith Grey, S14E22, "Fight For Your Mind"

"In surgery, we work to make our sutures as precise as we can. We try to minimize scars and to return full function. We try not to leave any trace of the injury. In Japan, when a piece of pottery breaks, some potters fill the cracks with gold. The potters, they see the repair as something beautiful. They know that the unexpected happens. Change happens. They know that nobody gets through this world in one piece. That doesn’t have to diminish us. The cracks are part of our history. They will always be with us. They made us better. They made us stronger. They made us something new."
-Meredith Grey, S14E23, "Cold As Ice"

"A recent study found that marriage actually has health benefits. Married people live longer, have fewer strokes, and fewer heart attacks than people who are single. Scientific or not, I find that study incredibly irritating. Happily, there are other studies that tell us the real truth about the health benefits of marriage, which is that the benefits have nothing to do with marriage at all. Because those studies have shown that staying in an unhappy marriage is the worst thing you can do for your health and your children. So better health is a direct result of healthy relationships. You don't need a spouse, you just need someone you can trust. You need someone you can talk to. You need someone who will celebrate your wins and grieve your losses. You need someone who can forgive you. You need someone who will show up, no questions asked, and walk with you through every unexpected twist and turn life throws your way."
-Meredith Grey, S14E24, "All Of Me"

"Hey, Matthew? It's Meredith Grey, April's friend. Can you hear me? Okay, morphine, milligrams. April... We're getting her. Just try to relax. Okay. Okay."

"April's here? She's okay?"

"Wait. What? What do you mean, she's okay?"

"She warned me... about a curve... ice..."

"Matthew, w-what happened? What about April? Matthew?"

Anna was still getting used to Amelia not being around after she moved out to play house with Owen, Betty, and Leo. It felt weird to walk downstairs in the morning and find only Meredith and Maggie getting ready for work. It was also weird to think about Amelia helping raise a teen mom addict and her baby, but she didn't judge because her aunt clearly cared for her little non-traditional family.