ninety - two - "honorable judge madeline kane" - ninety - two

"If given the option, we prep our surgeries for days. We study. We practice. We run through it over and over again in our minds. Taking on a patient's case is not unlike marriage. We get to know you, inside and out. You trust us with your lives and we promise to protect and care for you. In sickness and in health. For better or worse. In sickness and in health, they say. It sounds so final, so binding. But it just means you have to be there. You have to really want to be there. For whatever is coming. And we don't know. It could all pan out the way we want, the way it's supposed to be. Or it could be so much worse."
-Meredith Grey, S15E20, "The Whole Package"

"Almost all human cells reproduce on a cycle. Up to ten percent of your heart is replaced each year. Red blood cells are replaced every four months, skin cells every two weeks. But neurons, the cells that make up the brain and spinal cord, don't regenerate. It turns out that under the right conditions, neurons can recover. If they can break from normal operations and focus on healing, they have a chance at regrowth. It's human nature to wanna fix what's broken. We may not be able to exactly replicate what we lost, but in its place, we'll grow something new. It's a long process, but it happens. Slowly but surely. Until we have what we need."
-Meredith Grey, S15E21, "Good Shepherd"

"On average, our hearts beat 70 times per minute. In the same 60-second period, we blink between 10 and 15 times, swallow once, and take up to 20 breaths. Our hearts beat. Our lungs breathe. Our bodies keep us alive. And most of us barely notice. We just take it all for granted. So much of the world operates without us ever thinking about it. We expect it to work out in our favor. And most of the time it does. We worry about the future and think about the past. And we so often miss what's right in front of us. We take what's good and easy and working for granted. Until it's no longer good and easy and working for us. It's normal, but we can do better because there are tiny, beautiful gifts we're given every day. And it's up to us to appreciate them to the fullest while we can."
-Meredith Grey, S15E22, "Head Over High Heels"

"Here's a partial list of chemicals that our bodies produce when we're falling in love. PEA is a natural form of amphetamine. It puts us on high alert. Pheromones produced from DHEA create an inexplicable sense of wellbeing and comfort. Oxytocin has been called the cuddle hormone and it stimulates the secretion of dopamine, oestrogen and LHRH. This cascade of feel-good hormones and neurotransmitters is also generally accompanied by poor judgment. No wonder they call it crazy in love. When we're in love, the prefrontal cortex, where we make most of our good, rational decisions, goes into sleep mode. And the amygdala, which activates our threat response defences, calls in sick. Which leaves us pretty vulnerable to take more risks. And left alone without our normal neurological protections, we might find ourselves in dangerous and unexpected places we normally wouldn't dream of going."
-Meredith Grey, S15E23, "What I Did for Love"

Sitting down on the living room floor with Ellis in her lap, Anna wondered why Meredith called her down here. Bailey and Zola played with their toys while Meredith walked in with a tray and bowls full of ice cream. The kids eyes lit up as Meredith sat down with them, "So, the reason why you saw Dr. DeLuca here the other night was because he and I have been spending more time together."

"Is he your boyfriend?" Zola asks and Anna smirks, "Yeah, is he still just your boyfriend?"

"He is." Meredith nods, eyes flickering over all four of their reactions.

"What's that mean?" Sweet, little, innocent Bailey asks.

"Well, that means that I like him a lot. Not more than you, but a lot."

"Are you gonna kiss him?" Zola asks, Anna laughs.

"Probably."

"Ew, gross!" Bailey exclaims, sticking his tongue out while Zola grimaces in union, "Oh, gross!"