Hayama Akira x Fem Reader ~Fake it until you make it

Warnings: none

For the first couple of months that the two of you dated, you were able to ignore the elephant in the room . . . how Akira acted more like a couple with his sempai, Jun Shiomi, than with you. But by the time your one year anniversary came round, you were thoroughly vexed. 

Normally, missing an anniversary or forgetting it was okay with you (you weren't really to strict about those kinds of things.), but the fact that Akira forgot because Shiomi needed help buying new clothes? You were not okay with that. At first you were seething, arms crossed as you paced the length of your living room, but then a creeping fear started to infiltrate your anger. Flumping onto the couch, you grip your pants tightly. "What if he's cheating on me with her?" You speak your thought aloud, hoping that you are incorrect. 

He returns two hours later than he had said he would be, opening the door to your shared apartment quietly.  "You've been out late." You make your comment soft, setting a cup of tea on the kitchen table for him, tentative smile on your face.

"Yeah," Akira grunts. down in the seat next to yours, he runs one coffee brown hand through his snow white locks. "Shopping took longer than I thought . . . it was worth it though, I found some really cute clothes for Jun. She would pick out the most disgusting articles of clothing if it weren't for me."

Heart sinking, you broaden your smile, your cheeks hurting with the strain. "Let me reheat dinner . . . I made your favorite?" You couldn't help the questioning lilt that tinted the end of your sentence, frozen until he responded.

"I ate already, there's no need." He finally looked at you then, eyebrow rising as he sees your expression. Your lips quivering as you hold your smile in place, hands  fisted so tight that your nails were cutting into your skin. "Are you sick Y/n?"

"Nope!" You answer, chipper. "I'm perfectly healthy!" Glancing around for something to do, you spot a basket of clean folded clothes that you had yet to put away sitting next to the door. "I'll just go put those away like I should have earlier, then go to bed. Goodnight." 

As you dash past him, tears blurring your vision, he snatches at your wrist to hold you still. "Wait." His calm command barely wiggles its way into your mind, as upset as you are. Unfurling your hands, he gently smears the blood that wells up from the half moon cuts in your palm with one of his thumbs. "You should be careful, these hands are one of the most important tools to you as a chef. They must remain unharmed." 

Trembling, you try to pull away. "I'll keep that in mind for the future."

"Y/n. Tell me what's wrong." The tears that had been threatening to spill from your eyes overflowed, your cheeks rapidly dampening. You don't allow him to pull you onto his lap as he tries to do, but you don't pull away as he wraps his arms around your waist, holding you close. 

You manage to hiccup out 'are you cheating on me?', before finally collapsing into his hold.

"What?" Akira looks down at you in surprise, trying to read your expression. "Why would you think that?"

"Because you spent our anniversary with Jun Shiomi -and you spend almost every other day with her as well!" You wail, hitting his shoulder with a clenched hand. "You even said that you had a crush on her when you were younger!"

He caught your hand, "I can explain. I'm not cheating on you."

"Isn't that what they all say!?!" You were past caring, you had been stuck with your own thoughts all day, and you had finally cracked.

"Truly, I can. First of all, spending a lot of my time with her. I'm her assistant, I basically run the place, I need to be there to take care of everything. I did have a crush on her when I was younger. But as an adolescent boy, I had a lot of crushes that came and went. Nothing came from it, and nothing will. I'm with you, not her."

Raising your chin belligerently, you glare at him. "What about forgetting our anniversary and shopping for six hours with her?"

Akira blushed a little, pushing you off of his lap so that he could get to his feet. You waited for him as he left the room, having been with him long enough to know that he would return. When he did, he had two paper bags in his hands. "Here." He pushed the bags into your hands, "I  actually went shopping with Jun to get these . . .  it just ended up taking a lot longer than I had thought." He looked put out as  he rubbed the back of his neck,  mumbling, "I don't know why we had to visit every store."

Blinking at the two heavy bags in your hands, you ask confusedly, "So you mean that you went shopping for me?"

"Happy Anniversary Y/n."

Dropping the things, you wrap yourself around him apoligetically. "I'm sorry for doubting you!"

He laughed softly, "It was my fault. I should be the one apologizing."

You don't say anything, taking a deep breath of the comforting scent of cinnamon.