⇥ CHAPTER 9

season 3 episode 5 & 6

"Marcelita!" Alex teased, slamming his fist back onto her door as he knocked, attempting to wake her up in time before they were both late to work, "Marcy, wake up!"

"I'm up already, calm your horses." Marcela answered, her accent coming through since she was previously thinking in her native language-- Alex's eyes immediately widened as he saw the disheveled wavy hair she usually placed in a pony tail, flushed face, and tired physique, "I'm just feeling a little sick--"

"A little?" Alex asked, taking a step back, "Stay inside, you're not going to work today."

Marcela squinted at him as she took a step forward, "Alex--"

"I'm not kidding," Alex warned, placing a hand up to stop her, "you look like you have the plague. Stay inside."

Marcela scoffed, remembering how she had planned to visit her father soon by using sick days, "I'm not gonna use my sick days--"

"You never used them either way, just use it this once and stay home." Alex lectured, placing his hands on both his hips as Marcela glared at him, "Or do you want to infect the entire hospital?"

"Fine." Marcela caved, retreating back to her apartment, "Happy now?"

Alex nodded with a smile, "Yes."

Hearing her phone ring for, what seemed, the hundredth time that day, Marcela rolled to her side with a groan before she brought her hand up to her bedside drawer and grabbed her phone, immediately answering it before looking at the caller id as she spoke, "What is now, Alex--?"

"Addison and Mark were in love." Derek informed, the broken quiver in his voice brought Marcela enough energy to sit up.

Marcela's eyes widened slightly as she stared in front of her, "What--?"

"I'm such an idiot." Derek muttered, feeling ridiculous for not seeing anything sooner, for not realizing he should have stayed with Meredith and not tried to make things work with Addison-- for not telling Meredith he loved her sooner. 

Marcela looked at the clock to her left before she uncovered herself, "Derek, what happened-- how--?"

"Addison told me because she felt 'guilty' for taking the Brownstone and the Hamptons." Derek scoffed again, "I didn't think that woman was able to feel guilt-- and now..."

Marcela sighed deeply, trying to think over what advice would help him, "Derek--"

"Damn it." Derek exhaled, and from where he was, the sound of his pager echoed loud enough for Marcela to hear from the other line, "A patient's coding I need to go."

"Wait, Derek--" The call dropped before Marcela could finish, making her eyes land on the phone in her hand as she sighed, "Damn it."

"I've known you my whole life." Mark began, trying to appeal to Derek, who only stared at the laptop screen in front of him, "I grew up with you, so I know what you're thinking... that there is a year of your life wasted trying to make it work with Addison, and you could've been with Meredith, that you could be happy right now, that all this... everything... that you and Meredith could've had a real chance. Still... I thought you should know the truth." Mark revealed, hoping Derek would understand him when he hinted at the fact that Addison only told Derek because of him, "I thought I owed you that... as a friend."

"Derek Shepherd." A frustrated voice easily identified as Marcela's was heard from the nurse's station-- Mark turned his head to catch a glimpse and Derek closed his laptop shut.

"You're not my friend." He finished, getting up with a groan as he held his laptop close to him and Mark looked back over to him at the same time Derek pointed over at the hispanic woman about to choke the nurse who wouldn't page him, "She is."

✶✶✶

"Are you kidding me?" Marcela commented as she looked down to see Cristina dictating the specifics of what Burke needed for his O.R., "It's like she's in charge of his entire schedule."

"She probably is." George agreed with a nod, "Burke's back, and suddenly Cristina's running his board? Who does she think she is-- Bailey?"

"She's helping him." Meredith corrected, trying to assure herself and her friends.

"Bull." Alex shook his head with pure jealousy, "She's taking advantage. She gets out of rounds, she scrubs in on every surgery Burke does, she's ordering around third-year residents."

Meredith tried again, "You guys are overreacting."

"Are we?" Marcela rhetorically asked before holding in a yell as she watched Cristina grab the marker from the nurse, "She's writing on the O.R. board." Marcela brought her hands to her face as she scrunched her eyebrows in envy.

"We never get to write anything on the O.R. board." George added, a frown planted on his face as he squinted down at his fellow intern.

"Maybe I should sleep with Burke." Alex mused with a nod, and while Marcela would have commented on that, she was too busy glaring down at the marker in Cristina's hand.

"You've been busy." Meredith noted as she, along with her other friends, stared at Cristina, who was writing notes in the margins of a textbook.

"Yeah." Cristina nodded as she glanced over to them before going back to her notes, trying to prepare herself for the next surgery with Burke.

Meredith paused, thinking over what could bring her interest to them before speaking, "Derek hasn't called yet. I told him I broke up with Finn a week ago. He still hasn't called."

George and Marcela looked at each other as Cristina seemed unbothered before the hispanic spoke up, "He might." She assured with a nod as she looped her arm with George's, "He... just needs time to process some things."

Meredith nodded at Marcela with appreciation before looking back at Cristina, "Hey, do you want to grab a drink, catch up?"

"Uh, no, I can't." Cristina shook her head as she rushed out, "I have to study up for Burke's surgeries tomorrow."

Meredith looked at the others as Cristina exited the locker room, "She's busy." She excused, trying to make sense of things. George, Alex, and Marcela looked at each other before they nodded and walked away, unanimously deciding to all go to Meredith's house and drink as they'd secretly think over what Cristina was hiding.

✶✶✶

i'm realizing now that i'm using a lot of tonkinwrites' gifs they made for ana de armas and honestly, huge props to them for making the gifs accessible to other people to use :} (they're on tumblr if you want to see their other gifs !) 

ANYWAYSS I KNOW Y'ALL ARE EXCITED FOR CHAPTER 10 AND IT'S ABOUT TO BE PUBLISHED SOON 👁 👁  y'all are gonna learn more about marcela's dad and the ending is 🥺✨ SO STAY TUNED :}