9. Captivated

-Max-

-Max-

The first couple of classes were tedious. I was barely able to focus, and I sure as hell didn't learn anything. Not with Sky so close by. More than once I found myself staring at him, wondering how anyone could be so cute. And how hard and fast I had fallen for his cuteness.

Love at first sight? Was it actually possible? I hoped so. The sad part was that there was only a small chance he wasn't straight either.

But that didn't stop me from staring at him. Or waiting for the class to end so I could talk to him. Or hope that he'd turn around and smile at me... I tried to snap out of it and focus on the class again, but that didn't go too well.

Finally, years later, the lunch break started. While we gathered our stuff, I tried to find my courage to ask Sky if he wanted to eat with us. I'd never felt so insecure in my entire life, and my racing mind got the best of me. I mean, was it odd? Would he understand that something was going on? That I wasn't only interested in his company as a friend, but as something more? What if he realized I had a mad crush on him and ran screaming the other direction? What if he hated people like me? What if–

"You'll eat with us, right?" Troy asked Sky, who nodded with a smile.

Or I could just stop freaking out...

I watched them two start walking to the door and hurried after them. When we stepped outside and started heading towards the exit, I deliberately walked a few steps behind so I could watch Sky. He looked good in his new clothes. The old ones, as cute as they were, had hidden so much from me. He really was nice to look at. And I never hadn't even realized how fit he was. He didn't seem like a guy who'd work out, but I guess he had a strong physique because he was always spending so much time outdoors, wandering around the forests and climbing trees and rocks with heavy backpacks and everything.

"Max?"

And honestly speaking, his physique really was nice to look at. I was simply unable to take my eyes off him.

"Max? Bro! Snap out of it," Troy chuckled, waving his hand in front of my face. "Thirsty much?"

I ripped my eyes off Sky and realized we were already outside in the schoolyard. I turned to look at Troy. He glanced at what I'd been staring at and tried to hide his smirk.

"I could use some water," I muttered, feeling heat rising on my cheeks, and Troy started laughing again.

"That's not what I meant," he cooed, and I blushed harder. Then he turned all serious, which was pretty unusual for him. "You really like him," he spoke with a quiet voice.

It wasn't a question, so I didn't reply to him. Sky turned to look at us, and for a short second, I thought he'd heard us, but there was no way he could have since it was really noisy outside. It seemed like everyone wanted to enjoy the warm day, and the tables outside the lunch hall were already crowded.