30. Official

-Max-

-Max-

The week had been the most horrible one in my entire life. I was still shaken about what happened to Sky. I couldn't get rid of the image of him with soaking wet and bloody clothes, and a scared look on his face. I could still see him clearly; I could still see every bloodstain on his face.

That moment when he had appeared from the woods... I thought my heart stopped.

And after hearing what Cain – my own teammate – had done to him, I wanted him dead. I scared Sky and myself with all that anger I felt. I really wanted to kill him. Troy and Luke had been too kind to them. They told me what they did, but when the police came to me asking about the injuries Cain and his friends had suffered, I told them nothing.

Troy, Luke and I swore not to tell anyone, including Sky, about what happened that day in the woods. We would take that story to our graves.

Sky was really shaken about everything, and I hated how people kept asking him questions, and when the interviewers came, I almost lost it. Sky had been through enough already, but he surprised me once again by being stronger than I thought. He repeated the story over and over again to everyone who asked.

But he wasn't himself. He wasn't happy; he didn't get excited about anything; he didn't talk about animals or nature, and he didn't even blink when our biology teacher told us we could change our project if we wanted to get an easier subject without it affecting our grades.

All Sky had told him was that we would think about it. But he didn't bring it up.

I was getting really worried about him. I wanted to do something, anything, to cheer him up, but I couldn't bring a smile to his face, no matter what I did. When I tried to talk to him, he didn't seem like he was even listening.

Then he mentioned the cats he had helped to save, and the desperate me picked up a phone and called the rescue center, and luckily, they were more than happy to give us a tour.

And it seemed like it worked! Sky got excited again, and I almost cried in relief and happiness when I saw that wide, enthusiastic smile of his.

The tour was fascinating for me too, but seeing Sky smiling again was the highlight of my day. Afterwards, when we were saying our goodbyes to the two women who had given us the tour while my dad stopped the car right next to us, Sky was almost back to being himself.

"Thank you," he told me and hugged me.

I gave him a big hug, feeling reluctant to let him go. But my dad was already waiting, so I had to. I helped Sky in the car and walked around it to get in my seat right next to him.

"Did you have fun?" my dad asked.

"Yes!" Sky chirped and turned to smile at me.

It truly warmed my heart to see him so excited again. He was such a strong person. He was stronger than I could ever be.