8. Seeing Right Through

-Max-

-Max-

"Bro, are you listening?"

I snapped awake from my thoughts and turned to look over my milkshake. Troy was frowning at me on the other side of the table.

"Sorry, what?" I asked, pushing myself to sit up.

"You've been very absent for a few days," he noted. "Did something happen?"

I immediately shook my head. "I guess I'm just tired."

I was not going to tell him why I wasn't paying any attention to pretty much anything anymore. The reason for that was Sky. His sadness still bothered me. I'd been trying to decide if I should send him a message to ask how he was doing, but I was a coward, no matter how hard it was to admit.

The way we parted our ways yesterday was still haunting me. I had made him sad when I said I didn't have time to go camping with him every weekend. It was clear as day, no matter how hard he had tried to act like he was fine with it. I still felt like a scumbag because of it, and not just because I... I had feelings for him.

He had no one in this city. I couldn't even imagine what it was like to start my entire life from scratch in a place where I knew absolutely no one. And for some weird reason, he wasn't getting any friends. I mean, who wouldn't want to be friends with him? He was such a nice, kind, sweet, amazing person! Was everyone blind?

"You're doing it again," Troy chuckled, and I forced myself out of my thoughts.

"Sorry..." I mumbled and sighed.

"What's going on? Seriously?" he asked again with worry in his green eyes.

"Nothing... I'm just..." I looked up at Troy, and I knew I could speak to him about it. "Isn't it odd that Sky still has no friends?"

"Your biology partner?" he asked. "Have you been thinking about him this entire time?"

"What? No, of course not," I said hastily, a blush creeping up on my cheeks. "I just... I feel bad for him, you know? He asked me about the camping thing yesterday and I told him I can't do it every weekend and he got sad about it, and I feel like a jerk, and... I don't know, I mean, I could go camping with him every weekend if I cut back a few hours of sleep. It's only for two months. And the guy still has no friends, and I just don't understand why!"

He blinked at me a few times, then laughed. "Yeah, I have no idea why he has no friends," he agreed.

"Right?" I sighed. "He really is a great guy. It's so refreshing to hang out with him. He's so... real. Everyone else seems fake compared to him. And he actually cares."

"Uh-huh," Troy nodded. "He does seem like a nice guy."

"He is," I muttered. "I can get everything done and still go camping with him every weekend, right?"