5. The First Trip

-Sky-

-Sky-

The rest of the week flew by fast. I didn't get to hang out with Max, though he did wave at me a few times whenever our paths crossed. I got way too giddy whenever he did that, and I could only hope my skills of acting cool were as good as I thought.

On Friday, I went to watch his practice again. I was just as confused about the game as always, but just because he was in the field, it was a hundred times more pleasant to watch. Just... I still didn't find it amusing to watch them getting hurt. And it looked like they got hurt a lot. Why would anyone want to get sent flying through the air and get kicked and tackled just because of a leather ball was beyond me. At least they seemed to be having fun. For some very odd reason.

After the practice ended, I stayed behind for a moment in hopes of catching Max just so I could say hi, but since the entrance to the locker rooms was swarmed with people who wanted to do that exact same, I figured it was for the better if I just went home. My mood did take a hit from that, but I tried to cheer myself up by thinking about tomorrow.

Because tomorrow it was time for us to go find the owls. And that thought worked. I was instantly in a better mood as I made my way to the bus stop. By the time I got home, I was so excited I had to go through the papers about our project again.

And I ended up writing the essay about the owls that we were required to do. Without Max. Even though I'd promised we'd do everything together. Whoops. But I couldn't help it! This was the most exciting school project I'd ever had, and honestly... I didn't have anything else to do. I was sure he didn't mind. It was less work for him this way.

Later, when I was getting ready for bed, I thought about the owls. I really hoped that we'd get to see even a small glimpse of them. They were nocturnal, after all, and Max and I had agreed to leave around noon, so our chances were slim. I just really wished Max could see them too... I wasn't sure if it was such a big deal to him, but I was hoping that after seeing the owls, he'd get excited about the project as well. He already was, but like... He didn't share my enthusiasm.

But we'd probably be out of luck. At least we could make sure they were still around before we had to start with the project. It'd be embarrassing to find out the owls had moved already and beg for our teacher to let us change the subject after everyone else had already started.

I mean, I'd only seen them once before, a few weeks ago on my second camping trip after moving here. I had run into the abandoned barn just outside the city and spotted the feathers and owl droppings all around it. After a few hours of waiting in the dark night, I had finally seen them. I knew where their nest was, so all we needed to do tomorrow was to check if they were still using it.

When I went to bed, I was way too eager for tomorrow to arrive. I was barely able to even fall asleep, but I did. I finally did.

And when I woke up, I should've been tired, but I wasn't. Far from it. I was excited and nervous and way too giddy to sleep in, so even though I had plenty of time before we'd go get Max, I practically jumped out of the bed and hurried to the bathroom.