34. Impressing the Parents

-Max-

-Max-

After I got home from school, I went to take a quick shower and changed my clothes before I took my bike and started driving to Sky's. I had promised to spend the rest of the day with him so we could work on our project. We still had a lot to do besides checking up on the owls, but I didn't mind, since I got to spend all that time with my boyfriend.

I smiled when I thought about that word. It really was a nice word. Boyfriend. It sounded natural to me, just like the word 'girlfriend' would have, and it filled me with calmness. I guess, before I met Sky, I hadn't been familiar with myself yet. But when he had walked into my life, I had finally found myself. And that made me really happy.

My smile vanished when I thought about Troy and Luke. I still couldn't believe what Troy had done. It was not like him to do such a thing. He must have understood that he was hurting Luke by not giving him enclosure. How could the guy move on while he was still waiting for Troy's answer? It was painful to think about how patient he had been, only to get rejected four months later. And my God, if Troy didn't reject him properly now... I would strangle him. He was my best friend, but I wouldn't hesitate to kick his ass if he would chicken out once again.

I couldn't understand why he hadn't told him no in the first place. He had never even implied that he might be interested in guys too, so why had he not just said no? Or was he actually interested? But if he was, then why did he leave the guy hanging for so long?

I shook my head in frustration. I was getting a headache. All I could do now was hope that Troy would do the right thing and make a choice.

Soon I saw Sky's home looming up ahead, and my stomach was suddenly filled with butterflies. I forgot about Troy and Luke and everything else when I turned on their driveway and hopped off my bike. I was smiling already, knowing that in just a few short seconds, I would see Sky again.

I left the bike next to the wall before I hurried to press the doorbell. I could hear someone coming to open the door, and I saw Sky's mom smiling at me for a second, until she realized it was me.

"Hey, Mrs. Jenkins," I said as politely as I could.

"What do you want?" she asked and crossed her arms on her chest.

"I... I came to visit Sky, so we can continue... our... project..." I muttered and hated how my voice grew smaller by each word I spoke.

"Who is it?" I could hear Mr. Jenkins' voice. Great, this was going absolutely great. I had no idea why they thought I would hurt their son. "Oh, it's you," Mr. Jenkins frowned when he saw me.

"Can I... May I come in?" I asked carefully, but neither of them stepped aside. They just glared at me.

"Did you bring your report card?" Mrs. Jenkins asked.

Oh my goodness! They were serious about it! I had believed they weren't serious about it. But, since I was serious with Sky, I had taken every single report card with me, just in case they would actually ask for it.