23. Amazing Day

-Sky-

-Sky-

"So... uhm..."

Max turned to look at me, but I had no idea what to say. We were still sitting next to the log, but neither of us had said anything after... after... we... kissed.

"Yeah..." Max had an awkward smirk on his face, and he tousled his long hair. "So..."

"So.... Yeah..." I muttered, feeling grateful that the darkness hid my crimson-red cheeks.

I looked at his lips for a short moment, but when he noticed it, I hurried to look away. A part of me was still in a deep shock after what had happened, and the rest of me couldn't believe it had happened. I was almost expecting to wake up and find out it was just a dream, but when the minutes passed and we both sat silently next to our campfire, it started to sink in.

Max kissed me. I kissed Max. We kissed. Kissed. Oh dear Mother Nature!

"So..." I spoke again, feeling restless and anxious and jittery and incredibly happy, but when I looked at Max again, I just froze.

"Let's not make this awkward," Max said when I couldn't continue talking. "Well, more than it already is."

I frowned and snapped out of my stupor. Of course it wasn't a big deal to him. He had probably kissed a lot of girls. And maybe guys too. I, on the other hand, had never been kissed.

"Y-Yeah," I muttered and cleared my throat. "It was just a kiss... No need to get silly over it..."

Max was probably laughing at me. Maybe it was just a prank? Maybe he was just teasing me... All those thoughts returned to me. Why would a god like Max kiss a geek like me? It didn't make any sense.

"Just a kiss?" Max repeated my words, and he was frowning too. "Well, okay..."

He sounded like he was disappointed. But why? I didn't have the nerve to ask him. I couldn't even look at him anymore. It was just a dream, anyway.

"You know what?" Max spoke almost angrily and continued, shaking his head, "No. I just... No. You've been flirting with me the entire day. You've been sending me all kinds of signals and giving me the impression that you're interested in me, and now you're saying it was just a kiss? No!"

I stared at him with wide eyes. I couldn't even think of anything to say, but I guess he didn't even expect me to speak.

"Was it really that bad? Because I can do better," Max said and grabbed my hand. "I can do a lot better if you'll let me!"

"What...?" that was all I could mutter, and Max's expression turned darker.

"Sky – I like you. A lot," he said sternly. "If you don't feel the same about me–"

"No!" I hurried to say. "I like you a lot too!"

"But the kiss was bad?" Max said, and it almost sounded like an accusation.