14. Project Compromised

-Max-

-Max-

The nurse's office at school was still thankfully open. When I carried Sky inside, there were still three other students who had gotten injured by the flying debris.

"Good Lord!" the nurse, Mrs. Abigail, yelped and hurried to us. "What happened?"

"We found him in the forest," I said, and with her help, I gently laid Sky down on one of the beds.

I hadn't had the time to take a good look at Sky, so seeing him lying on the bed made my stomach twist. He was covered in mud, and he was soaking wet. He had tiny scratches all over his face, and his torn clothes had blood on them.

"What's this..." Mrs. Abigail muttered and poked Sky's ankle.

There were two sturdy sticks tied around his ankle with something that seemed to be his new T-shirt. When Mrs. Abigail touched it, Sky woke up with a small, painful moan.

"I'm sorry," Mrs. Abigail muttered and leaned over him. "Do you remember what happened?"

Sky stared at her in confusion for a moment before he turned to look around. Soon, his eyes met mine, and he smiled.

"You found me," he said in a tiny voice.

"I would've come sooner, but we weren't allowed to leave the school," I told him. "I should've forced them to let me come look for you..."

"Don't be ridiculous," Mrs. Abigail said sharply. "You'd only gotten yourself injured as well."

"She's right," Sky muttered. "It was really dangerous out there."

"Why were you out there?" I asked, but Sky only shrugged. "You just vanished," I tried again, but Mrs. Abigail interrupted us.

"You two can go now," she said sternly. "I'll take care of him."

"But–" I tried to speak, but she shushed me.

"I have now four people to take care of, and they all need to rest," she said, gesturing for us to the door.

I really didn't want to leave, but when I didn't move, Troy grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the bed.

"Come on, bro. There's nothing we can do here," he spoke quietly.

After a moment, when Sky didn't ask us to stay, I reluctantly followed Troy out of the room, and Mrs. Abigail closed the door. I turned around to stare at it.

Troy sighed next to me. "He didn't seem badly injured. I know you want to stay, but–"

"I am staying," I told him. "I'm not letting him out of my sight."

Troy was silent for a moment, but then he tried again. "He's not your responsibility."

I turned to glare at him. "He's my friend."