58. Meeting His Mother

-Luke-

-Luke-

Was it weird that I had fallen asleep while the others were playing games? Probably. I was a bit ashamed of it, but no one seemed to care. It was just so easy to fall asleep while listening to their conversations. I didn't mean they were being boring or anything. I was just so damn tired all the time, and when I closed my eyes, the talking distracted me from what was usually going on in my head, so I nodded off.

The short nap gave me a little bit more energy, so I tried my best to be, or at least act, social for the rest of the evening. I was terrible at it. I was terrible with people, and honestly, I wasn't sure if I fit in with their little group. I just wasn't much fun.

I hated myself for feeling a bit glad when we finally left Sky's place. Sky seemed absolutely miserable when he said goodbye to Bella, but I guess it made him feel better when we all assured him they could come hang out at my place and we could all go for walks in the forest, now that his leg was finally good enough. I couldn't blame him for missing Bella, since she was a great dog.

"Who's a good girl," I cooed at her, when she rested her head on the backrest of my seat. For some reason, Troy seemed amused by my words. "What?"

"I just don't understand why people think you're such a cold badass," he said with a shrug and turned to look at the road.

"You hear that girl? Daddy has to start acting meaner again or I'll blow my cover. Sorry," I joked, and Troy laughed. Managing to make him laugh was an amazing feeling. "So... You don't think I'm a badass?"

"Nah," Troy smirked.

"Damn..." I muttered, joking of course. "I had the impression I was the biggest badass to ever live."

"If it makes you feel better, I think you're just enough badass," Troy said, turning to look at me.

"Well, that's good enough for me," I said.

I was slightly pissed at the fact that I had to focus on the road. From the corner of my eye, I could see him watching me. I wanted to look back at him, and at the same time, hide. There was nothing special about me, so why was he watching me? It made me feel more uncomfortable than I would have ever thought it would. But... It was nice, nonetheless. I really had no idea what was going on with me.

He turned his gaze to the road again, and the weird feeling I had subsided. I stole a short glimpse of him just to see his expression, but there was none. I focused on driving again, but it didn't take long before he continued speaking.

"Could we do a short detour?" he asked.

"Sure. What do you have in mind?" I asked and looked at him when he pointed to our right. There was a lone sign that we passed by shortly after. "The church?"

"The cemetery... I haven't visited my mom in a while..." Troy said, and his voice, his expression, basically everything about him, seemed different.