35. Intervening

-Sky-

-Sky-

It was hard to concentrate on finding more information about barn owls when Max was sitting right next to me, reading the essay I wrote. More than once I found myself staring at the computer screen without seeing anything, because I was too busy enjoying the warmth of Max's body or listening to his steady breathing. My eyes kept trailing in his direction way too often, and by the time Max was done reading, I hadn't found anything useful about the owls.

"It's really good," Max said once he put the papers away. "But I still think you should have waited for me so we could do it together."

"I was bored, so it's fine," I told him and leaned against him, resting my chin on his shoulder. "It's one less thing to worry about."

"Are you trying to distract me?" he chuckled when I took his hand in mine. "Your mom will kill me if she sees us not working on the project."

"Probably," I sighed and looked towards the kitchen, but I couldn't see Mom.

I could not understand why she didn't like Max anymore. I mean, Max had saved my ass almost a dozen times already. He was definitely not a player; he had the best grades, and he was always polite and kind, but she still treated him like he was a despicable human being! I wanted her to see how good Max really was, how gentle he was, how kind and hot, and just utterly amazing he was.

"What?" Max chuckled, and I snapped out of my thoughts when I realized I had been staring at him with a stupid grin on my face.

"I can't believe that you are my... my..." I trailed off and blushed hard.

"Your... boyfriend?" he helped me almost shyly.

"Yeah..." I breathed out, probably sounding like the biggest fanboy there was.

Max's smile got wider, and he kissed my cheek. Too bad that was the moment when my idiot brother barged in.

"Mom! I'm home, and I need – oh," he grinned when he spotted us snuggling on the couch. "Well hello," he continued and stepped into the living room.

"Hi," I muttered and sat upwards.

"I didn't mean to interrupt anything," Freddy smirked. "Where's Mom?"

"In the kitchen," I pointed him in the right direction.

"Okay, I'll just go talk to her then," he said, keeping that awful grin on his face. "I'll leave you to enjoy your boyfriend's company."

I pressed my eyes shut and let out a deep sigh. I knew my brother way too well. That grin he had on his face indicated he was up to something mischievous, which would end up with me getting embarrassed. There was a prank incoming in my near future. I was sure of it.

"He seems nice," Max said cheerily, and I started to laugh. "What?"

"Nothing. We should continue this," I said and turned to look at my laptop.