80. His Future and Everything

-Sky-

-Sky-

It was Monday afternoon already. Meaning we had only two days left of our camping trip! I really wished we could stay there for weeks! But no, two nights, and we would head back home and return to our normal life with school and malls and the slightly suffocating city. I loved to be here, out in the wilds, surrounded by birds and animals and fresh air.

I sighed, trying not to get too sad about having to go back home. There were good things at home as well. And we were going to have camping trips more often from now on. My parents promised that to me. And Max wanted to have our own camping trips as well! Maybe Troy and Luke would like to come with us sometimes!

Okay, I was back to being excited again. I was sitting on the ground with at least a dozen squirrels running up and down my body, trying to get the food I was feeding them. I had a big back of hickory nuts in my hand, and they were trying to get to it.

"Come on, guys. There's plenty for all of you," I chuckled when one of them managed to sneak past my hands and dive into the bag.

"There's more coming," I heard Max's voice, and turned to look at him.

If there was a way for him to look even more handsome than he already did, it was accomplished by letting a couple of squirrels sit on his shoulder. I couldn't help but stare at him. He was sitting on the ground close by, with his legs crossed. He, too, had nuts in his pockets and a few on his hand, and he watched with a smile how a small squirrel tried to build up some courage to take a nut from him. His long hair was hanging free like a dark curtain or a frozen waterfall down his shoulder, and on the other one, he had a squirrel munching away his food.

I wished I had my phone with me, so I could take a picture.

And as if the gods of the forests had heard my wish, I saw my mom grabbing her phone and capturing that moment for me. She was laughing lightly when she looked at the picture she just took.

"You'll need to send it to me," I told her.

"Sure thing, sweetheart," she said and returned to the log she and Freddy were sitting on. "He's just so darn cute!" she added, pointing at the squirrel who was happily still sitting on Max's shoulder.

Yes, the squirrel was also cute.

"Did you know peanuts are actually not very good for squirrels? There's not much nutrition for them," I asked Max.

"I didn't know that," he said. "I'm guessing that is why we're feeding them these instead," he said, grabbing a few more nuts from his pockets.

"Yeah. There's a lot of different nuts that are way better than peanuts, and it's even better if they still have shells. They also eat veggies and fruits and seeds and even insects," I explained.

I watched Max while the little squirrel finally took the food he was offering and scurried a foot away to eat it. Max laughed lightly, making my heart melt on the spot. Then I looked at my mom. She had learned a few things about Max during the past couple of days, and she had finally understood that Max truly was the sweetest guy. She had finally accepted Max as my boyfriend, and I was ridiculously happy about it. She and Max were getting along so well now! Well, I guess my Mom never actually hated him, she was just worried, and maybe the worst part for her was to accept the fact that I wasn't a little kid anymore.