66. Fair Warnings

-Luke-

-Luke-

"Good morning," I muttered my greetings when I leaned against the wall next to Ronny the next day at school. "How was your weekend?"

Ronny turned to stare at me. "Good what?" he asked.

"Good morning?" I frowned.

Ronny opened his mouth once, twice, three times, before he found his voice. "Who are you?" he breathed out. "There's no such thing as 'good morning' in Luke's vocabulary."

"Very funny," I grunted at him.

He shook his head and fell silent for a moment, but then he turned to look at me again. "Did you seriously ask about my weekend?"

"Yes, I did," I said, rolling my eyes.

He squinted his eyes at me. "That's not normal. What's going on?"

I leaned my head against the wall with a groan. "I'm sorry I said anything."

I could feel him staring at me for quite some time. I didn't bother to look at him again. He was just being a wanker. Then, he surprised me with a quiet laughter.

"So... It is true then," Ronny spoke. "You have someone."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said – I was not telling anyone about Troy as long as he needed to keep us a secret. "You're making way too big of a deal out of a simple 'good morning'."

"It's not only that. Ever since you got back from your homeland, you've been different," he said. "I'm guessing you met her there. Who is she? An old childhood friend? A girl next door?"

Well, at least he couldn't be more wrong, which suited me well. "Something like that," I said. "Why would you even care?"

"It's been the hottest topic lately," Ronny smirked, and looked around. I noticed that pretty much everyone in the hallway was paying attention to our conversation. "Who is dating Luke Frost?"

"People should mind their own goddamn business," I said quietly, glaring at everyone who dared to look in my direction. They all took the hint.

"So, was I right? She lives in Australia?" Ronny asked.

"Yeah," I said, just to end the stupid rumors about me. I knew I was in trouble once Troy would hear about this, but this was the easiest way out. Having an imaginary girlfriend who conveniently lived half across the world wouldn't bring up any questions about why I was never seen with her.

This annoying conversation did seem to have its upside.

"I knew it," Ronny laughed. Everyone else seemed curious to hear more, but I ignored them.

Thankfully, the class started, and I was left alone. I knew Ronny would probably ask me more about my "girlfriend", but I wasn't going to tell him anything. I wasn't a liar, and more importantly, I wasn't someone who shared things with anyone. No one would be surprised if I decided to ignore everyone's questions.