55. No Pretend

-Luke-

-Luke-

I woke up with this weird, happy feeling inside me. I opened my eyes and stared at the wall right in my face, trying to get my head working. A sudden jolt went through my body when I remembered Troy had fallen asleep right next to me, and I hurried to turn around to see him.

But he wasn't there. I stared at the empty spot next to me, and the happiness was long gone. How many times had this happened to me? How many good, amazing dreams had I had during the past year? Once there was a time when I had so horrible nightmares about Hell and death that I woke up screaming and never wanted to go to sleep.

After meeting Troy, those dreams changed. They were amazing; we were always together, and I had felt real happiness. But it had gotten harder and harder for me to wake up and see that he wasn't there. The dreams weren't real.

I could have sworn he was there in my room last night, but it had happened so many times before. Another amazing dream, nothing more. I wasn't sure how many times I could do that anymore. I was getting too weak to fight. For years, all I had wanted was death, and not a day went by when I didn't try to make excuses for why I shouldn't die. It would be so easy to end it all. It was so hard to keep going.

I stood up and looked around, but Troy wasn't there. There was no second bed. His bag was gone. I saw no trace of him.

"Just a dream..." I whispered, feeling so empty and sad and tired.

I made my way into my bathroom and opened the small cabinet that was filled with my meds. I saw my reflection in the mirror and stared at the ugly piece of shit that was me.

"He's Satan's spawn! He wasn't supposed to be born! He's an abomination! Satan is turning us into wicked creatures! Look at Gerry! Satan has filled his mind with this bullshit! He thinks he's a woman! Abomination! We must get rid of Evil's influence right now! Or God will punish us!"

"What the hell are you doing?! Let go of my son! Lucy!"

"He's not human! He's evil! He's not your son! He's an abomination! He's a demon! He needs to be killed or we all will be punished! Look at your husband! Can't you see it?! You gave birth to this evil and now he has corrupted Gerry's mind! He will do the same to all of us!"

I looked at the army of bottles in the cabinet. Why did I even try? I knew she was telling the truth. I could feel anger and hate inside me. It would be for the best for everyone if I just died.

I took the first bottle and opened it. If I ate them all, it should do the trick. I was too deep in the darkness, and Troy wasn't there to shine a light at me. He would never be there, not really. Only in my dreams.

"Luke..."

I took the first pill and hesitated before I swallowed the second one. After that, it became easier. I just wanted to get out. I was done. I was finally done.