69. Breaking the Boyfriend

-Luke-

-Luke-

We were having our final practice before the game. Everyone was sweating and gasping for air after coach Benham made us go through hell, but I was pretty happy with the team. Coach seemed pleased as well, and he even seemed to like me again.

"Good job," he said, patting my shoulder. "I'm sorry I've been so hard on you lately. I just didn't want you to throw all that talent away. I'm really sad to let you go, but I understand your exams must take priority. But, I mean, you could go pro with your skills!"

I just smiled, not letting him know there was not a single team in this world that would let me play with my injured knee. I hadn't told him the truth. He knew about my accident, but I had managed to convince everyone that the leg was fully healed.

Which it was not. It was getting more painful again with all the extra practices and all. But I only needed to get through Friday and the big game. Then my football career would come to an end. I was sad about it – I really liked playing – but that was my price to pay.

For my life.

We continued for a moment longer, but eventually Coach let us go. When we stepped into the locker room, I stole a glimpse of Troy's back when I heard him laugh. He sure was great out there on the field. I wanted to recommend him to be the next captain, but I feared that our relationship was affecting my judgement, so I hadn't said anything.

Like Troy needed my help, anyway. He was a great player. He was a hard-working guy, never missed a practice and most of the team adored him. Besides, he'd never said a word about whether he even wanted to be the captain or not. He always avoided the question.

I was the first one to hit the shower, like I usually was. Just to avoid certain embarrassing situations. I kept my eyes fixed on the wall in front of me and washed myself quickly. I wasn't alone in the shower room, but I managed to get out from there before Troy and Max stepped in. I could feel Troy's amused eyes on my face when I passed him by. I felt like smiling, but I stopped that from happening.

I took my time dressing up in clean clothes, and then packed my bag, emptying my locker almost completely. It was kind of an emotional moment for me. I'd be giving this locker away for good. It had been my locker for almost two years now, but now I was moving on. Someone else would take it. And as if that wasn't enough, I felt something bad squirming inside my stomach.

It was my last year in this school. After that, I had no idea what I was going to do, but I wouldn't be here anymore. If Troy would break up with me, I wouldn't be able to see him anymore.

If I was in a good mood, it was gone now. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to fight back the demons that were lurking close by. I was just tired. That's all. Things between me and Troy were going great, better than I could have ever imagined. I had nothing to worry about.