54. Darkest Secret

-Troy-

-Troy-

I wasn't sure why it was a surprise to me when I found out about Luke's antidepressants. He wasn't the most carefree, happy guy I knew, but seeing the bottle of pills opened my eyes. People at school, especially girls, described him often as a dark, mysterious guy, but in reality, he was sad and depressed.

It was around two in the morning, and I couldn't sleep. It was so hot in Luke's room, even with the door open, and I was thirsty. I had been trying to ignore it because I didn't want to wake up Luke, whose steady breathing filled the room. I stared at his bathroom door for a while, wondering if he would wake up if I used it. Then I turned to look at the door. Maybe if I sneaked out and went to get water in the kitchen?

I decided to do just that. I carefully got up from the squeaky spare bed they had dragged into his room for me and tiptoed my way to the open door. I stopped by it and turned to look at Luke, who was still sound asleep. A tiny smile emerged on my lips when I felt the jittery feeling in my guts. Butterflies, I suppose.

The hallway was dark when I sneaked to the stairs, but I could see light coming from downstairs. I assumed someone had left a light on, but I was surprised to see Mrs. Frost standing in the middle of the kitchen with a glass of water in her hand and a sleepy expression on her face.

"Troy," she said with a worried tone. "Is everything all right?"

"I'm fine – I just got thirsty," I explained. "I didn't want to wake up Luke, so I thought I'd come here..."

"Oh, is he asleep?" she asked, like it was something unexpected.

"Y-yeah," I muttered. "I don't think he woke up..."

She seemed awfully happy about it, and I couldn't understand what was the big deal, but I did remember seeing his sleeping pills.

"He always does sleep better when there's someone else in the room with him," she said with a smile, and went to get another glass. "We believe it's because of the familiar voices and sounds."

She gave me the glass of water, and I thanked her before drinking it empty in one go. She chuckled and refilled my glass. "I hope the food wasn't too spicy?"

"No, it's just... It's so hot in his room," I said, and took a smaller sip.

"He gets cold so easily," she said, and her smile turned a little sad.

"Are you... all right?" I asked carefully. The woman was standing in the middle of the kitchen in the middle of the night, after all.

"My neck is killing me," she sighed. "And my back. Sitting on a plane for almost a full day isn't meant for anyone. I was trying to do some stretches, but it didn't seem to help."

"Oh, okay..."

We stood there for a moment in silence, and Mrs. Frost was studying me with her gaze. "I'm glad Luke has a friend like you. And when I say friend, I mean I know you two have something going on, but no one has told me where you two are standing, so I'm just going to keep calling you friends until I'm better informed," she spoke, smiling knowingly the entire time.