68. The Presentation

-Sky-

-Sky-

Where did the time go? It felt like it was ages ago when I started at this school. It was barely four months ago, but it felt more like two years to me.

I grabbed the big file from my bed and put it in my bag, feeling nervous. Max and I had the presentation about owls today. Our project was ready, and today was our turn to show the whole class what we had discovered. I dreaded the thought of standing in front of everybody. I would make a fool out of myself.

I made sure I had everything with me when I exited my room to grab breakfast. I was happy to see my ankle was almost fully healed – I could feel a small jolt of pain going through it only when I was walking down the stairs. I didn't have my splint on anymore.

I stopped to take a deep breath at the bottom of the stairs. Dad happened to step out of the kitchen at that moment, and he stopped to stare at me.

"What is it this time?" he asked, trying to hide a smile.

I tried to take another deep breath, but it was futile. I knew I had the creepiest smile on my face again – the one Luke was afraid of.

"My ankle is healed," I tried to speak slowly. "It doesn't hurt anymore."

"And you're grinning like a maniac because...?"

"The camping trip is next week," I spoke, my entire body shivering from excitement. "With you and Max and Mom and it's going to be so awesome!!" I may have lost my self-control somewhere in the middle of my sentence.

Dad started to laugh and came to give me a hug. "That's right! I can't wait! And the game is this Friday! How's the boys? Do you think they've had enough practice?"

"Of course," I said. "More than enough, in my opinion..."

He laughed lightly. "That's what you get for dating an athlete – long hours at the side of the football field."

I nudged him on his side. "You'd be thrilled in my shoes," I chuckled, and continued my way to the kitchen.

"You're not wrong," he laughed. "I'll have to get going now – have a great day at school!"

I turned to tell him bye and waved at him when he opened the door. Then I stepped into the kitchen, where Mom was drinking coffee and reading a newspaper.

"Good morning," we said at the same time, and I went to sit in front of her.

"Are you nervous?" she asked, like she didn't already know the answer. I'd spent the entire yesterday evening ranting about how much I feared the presentation.

"A bit," I replied.

She laughed at my reply with a knowing look on her face. "It will go just fine," she said reassuringly. "As long as Max does his part..."