79. Spoken By Him

-Troy-

-Troy-

"Troy! Open the goddamn door!"

I ignored my father. He was still banging on the door a few minutes later, but I stayed silent. Our help would arrive any second now, and no matter how awfully long the seconds were, I knew we had already won. They couldn't get through the door and that was the only way in, unless they could find ladders lying around.

"I gave you everything, you little piece of shit!"

I didn't even blink. I just stared at my phone, but I could feel Stephanie moving uncomfortably next to me. I looked at her. She seemed like she was about to burst out in tears.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly, but she shook her head sternly.

"No – this is my fault," she muttered, staring into nothingness in front of her. "I should've seen the person he really is... There were times when I had the feeling something wasn't right, but he managed to fool me every single time..."

I nudged her side gently to make her look at me. When she did, I gave her a smile. "Now you know. I probably should've told you about everything, but no one ever believes me, so..."

She took a deep breath and tried to smile as well, but it was a sad one. "He's such a good liar..." she muttered. I nodded, and we fell silent for a moment. Then I saw her looking at me. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm just happy I can get away from him," I told her truthfully. "I don't have to hide myself any longer."

She nodded slowly, and waited until my father was done yelling behind the door, before she spoke again. "So... you really have... a boyfriend?" she asked timidly.

"Yeah, and he's coming to help us right now," I told her, hoping that whatever she thought about gays, she would keep that to herself. I really didn't need that shit right now.

"Good... good... You said his name is Luke?" she continued.

"Yes," I nodded.

"It's that big guy, right? That really big guy?" she continued, and I suddenly realized why she was asking those questions.

"That's the one," I said, trying to hide my smile. "He's probably taking Gwen with him."

"Gwen... H.. She's his... uhm? That big... woman?" she stammered, and I was glad to see the change in her attitude.

"Yes," I nodded again.

"Oh, good..." she muttered, looking a bit more relieved now, knowing that we were getting help from people who were actually able to help, no matter how big or strong my uncle was. "Good..."

"So, you don't mind?" I asked, and my father started making a ruckus again behind the door.

Stephanie turned to look over her shoulder. "Quite frankly, if this day has taught me anything, it's that I need to start looking past the surface."