040 Fertilizer

In the morning, I was peacefully sleeping when the incessant cry of Anu ruined my sleep.

I woke up and looked around.

It was Anu's room.

The cry of the new babies was ruining my sleep. So mom started keeping my crib in Anu's room every morning. That way, I can sleep peacefully even if the babies throw a tantrum. Unfortunately, mom never considered the possibility of Anu crying and ruining my sleep.

She came into the room and stood beside my crib.

Why? I asked her with my hands.

"Mom.... mom didn't give me onion..." She replied between sobbing.

"Why do you want onion?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"Huh? That... that..." Anu scratched her head and started thinking.

I controlled my urge to punch her in the face. What is a five year old kid going to do with onion in this early morning?

"Ahh... A big uncle has come. He is the guy in the posters. Very big." Anu pointed her hand upwards and excitedly shared a piece of news. Fortunately, she had a very short memory and had already forgotten about the onion.

I understood the situation instantly. It was the day of the election result. So dad's boss, Johny Varghese joined us in the morning. He was nervous and wanted to avoid the media. So he came to our home to hide.

I got out of bed and went to the kitchen. Mom happily greeted me and gave my toothbrush to Anu. Brushing me was Anu's duty. I had just three teeth. Still, Anu considered it an honour and brushed me carefully. They didn't use toothpaste as I was too young for that.

After brushing me, Anu went to brush Doodu. This is a habit they started recently. It's very cute to watch Doodu sitting obediently with his teeth showing and Anu playing the dentist.

I also peed and pooped. A few weeks ago, dad bought a potty for me. So pooping suddenly became a bit more 'cultured'. Once the morning routine was finished, mom fed me and talked with me a bit. I wanted to play with her. But she was a bit nervous and she went to our dining room with me.

Dad was sitting at the table with his computer open and many charts on the table. Our new television was displaying a news channel. And most importantly, the giant uncle Anu mentioned was rubbing his palms and walking around nervously.

"Sir please sit down. Being nervous won't be of any help." Dad tried to calm him down.

"Yes uncle, please calm down." Anu also consoled the old man.

He reluctantly sat down and looked at Anu. Anu was also looking at him curiously.

"Why are you so big?" Anu asked.

"I... ate a lot." He replied as he sighed.

"The first votes to be counted are postal votes. Those are cast by those who were in election duty. Those votes won't be in favour of us. But their numbers are low. So don't worry." Dad consoled the old man.

"You can say that. I don't know how I will face my children if I fail." Johny Varghese replied.

"I wouldn't have contested if I had known it would be this nerve-racking." He added.

"Sir, according to all my calculations, we will definitely win." Dad consoled the old man again.

I could see that everyone were nervous. So I decided to go and give my daily dose of bite to dad. Recently, I had developed a habit of giving a bite to dad in the morning. He would then pretend to be hurt and I would laugh.