058 Journey (1)

Mom and dad woke up around 4 in the morning. I also woke up and went to the kitchen.

Mom and dad were busy cooking. Doodu was sleeping on the bench in the kitchen. That's his favourite spot. He would lay there as mom cooks.

"Achutti! Why are you awake so early?" Mom was surprised to see me awake.

I just smiled.

Mom tried to send me back to sleep and failed.

By 6, all of us were awake and ready. Dad visited Arjun's house and gave them the keys. Then, we started our journey to meet our grandpa.

Since the number of members in our family was increasing, dad had bought a new car. An Ertiga.

Dad and mom sat in the front. Piya and Pichu were safely 'stored' in the right seat of the middle seats. I and Anuchi somehow managed to sit on the right seat of the back seat. The left seats of the back and middle were folded to make space for Doodu. Dad complained that we will have to buy a bus or truck soon.

The journey was slow. Partially because of us kids and partially because of mom's motion sickness.

After an hour of driving, we reached the bald hills. Those were small hills on Vagamon without any trees or shrubs.

"Why are you selling tickets so early?" Dad was not happy with the boy who was selling tickets at the entrance.

"Sir, it is the policy from the tourism department. You have to take a ticket to enter. It's only 5 rupees and it's free for the kids." The boy replied politely.

"This is ridiculous! When I used to come here with her during our college days, the government was not here."

"But sir, now the tourists have increased so we have to spend more money to maintain the place." He replied.

"There was no need for any maintenance when we were coming here." Dad wasn't ready to give up. I don't understand it at all. The ticket charge was just the price of a raw egg. But dad simply didn't like the idea of paying money for something that used to be free.

"We?" Mom interjected.

"Huh? Yea. Don't you remember? We came..." Dad stopped in between. His face turned pale in an instant.

Mom glared at him. He averted his eyes. I struggled to hold in my laughter.

I understood what had happened. Dad had indeed come here many times before. But it wasn't with mom. It was with Lakshi aunty! In fact, this was dad's first time here with mom.

Mom was furious. I felt pity for dad.

"Hihihi..." A suppressed giggle came from the ticket boy. He too had guessed the situation.

"What are you laughing for?" Mom shouted at him.

"No-nothing. Ten.. ten rupees."

"Here." Dad stuffed a ten-rupee note in the boy's hand.

"Sir, sorry we do not allow pets or food inside." The boy continued with a wide smile.

He didn't say that before we bought the tickets. This dude deserves some serious spanking.

"So?" Mom glared at him.

"..." He didn't know what to say.

We entered the area. The boy at the entrance was scared off by mom. He didn't dare to stop us. Facing someone like our angry mom was far beyond his paygrade.

Once inside, we found a vacant area and settled down. Since it was early morning, there weren't many tourists.

Mom served us breakfast. It was porotta and chicken curry. Mom made the curry with boneless chicken to reduce food waste. As for porotta, it is a local flaky flatbread made from maida. It's different from parotta. We all loved it.