70 Result day

In the morning, we went to church. The mass timing was 6 AM. Usually, it was at 6:45. But the priest changed the timing because of the election result. After all, our dad was the most famous and influential person from this village.

Although we no longer lived here, the people here still considered us as one of them.

After the mass, we visited the cemetery and asked our ancestors for blessings. Then we returned home and started watching the news.

I ate leftover cake with chicken fry as I watched the news.

"Why are you eating cake and chicken together?" Sam asked me.

"Because the cake is sweet. If I eat cake continuously, then the marginal utility reduces. But if I eat a bite of cake and then one bite of chicken, then the flavours in my mouth would change continuously. Because the chicken is spicy and the cake is sweet. That way, the marginal utility of the cake as well as chicken won't reduce and I can enjoy both for longer." I explained.

"..." He stared at me for a whole second with his mouth agape.

"Don't listen to him. Just a few days ago he convinced me to cut off my finger." Chachan advised Sam.

Despite chachan's words, Sam joined me with a plate of chicken fry and two pieces of cake. At first, he just wanted to try it. Then he liked it.

Soon, there were many who were trying out my combination.

Dad had agents at the counting stations to pass him the latest numbers. Dad doesn't have the habit of going to counting centres. He likes to hide at home and play with numbers. Before the counting started, more people joined us.

"I wasn't able to sleep yesterday. If I don't come here, I won't have any peace." Uncle Johny explained as he joined us.

"Me too." Lakshmi aunty's father, Bose followed him. He was not directly related to politics. But he recently started investing in our party because of our growth.

"Please come in, we have cake and chicken fry." I invited them inside.

Chachan played host. I was his assistant. Chachan sent someone to buy more chicken. He was happy that everyone liked his chicken fry.

As usual, the first votes to be counted were postal votes. As usual, we didn't have any good response from the postal votes.

Then we waited impatiently for the coming rounds of counting.

About thirty minutes later, the first round finished and results started coming

Joe was dad's assistant. He was tasked with entering the data in a spreadsheet dad had prepared. He was happy with duty. He double-checked every number before entering.

"We are leading in six and trailing in one." He announced the result of the first round.

"Six? I thought you said we have hope only in five." Johny uncle turned to appa.

"We have hope only in five seats. In the case of the sixth one, they are counting places we have good support. It will change soon." Appa explained.

His explanation was on the spot. After three rounds, we were leading on four seats and trailing on three.

Among the seven seats we contested, we were sure of victory in two, failure in two and the remaining three were uncertain.

Every minute felt like an eternity. Eldest aunt stayed in chachan's room and listened to the news. She was nervous and praying non-stop. Jeemma stayed with her. As for mom, she was listening to music and doing her best not to hear any news related to the election results.