045 Cancer

If you can go back and change one thing in your life, what will you do?

Studying better for an exam? Saving a life? Investing in bitcoin? Preventing covid?

For me, there is only one answer. 

Saving my mom's life.

In my previous life, when I was in school, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Unfortunately, it was diagnosed late and we lost her within a year. It was a big blow to us. My previous life would have been far better if she were alive.

I had absolutely no plan to let it happen again. So a few months ago, I made plans to make her check for breast cancer.

About two months ago, I decided to force mom to go to the hospital for a check for breast cancer. This was made possible through Anu.

The first thing I did was slowly planting the idea of cancer in Anu's mind. Although she is an intelligent girl, she is still a kid. So with just a few days of random chats, she firmly believed that cancer is a very dangerous disease.

My idea was to send Anu on a hunger strike. I planned to make her demand mom go to the hospital to get herself checked for breast cancer.

This wasn't an easy task as Anu was weak against hunger. So I wasn't expecting success on the first try. My actual aim was to bring the attention of my parents to this probability.

As planned, Anu made her demand on a Saturday morning. Mom and dad were a bit surprised to hear words like 'cancer' coming out of the mouth of a child. They naturally ignored her. Then, as planned, she went on a hunger strike. We all thought that she would give up within hours.

Unfortunately or fortunately, we all underestimated her willpower.

She managed to skip breakfast and lunch.

After a lot of arguments and promises, mom agreed to get the test done. This surprised me a bit. I never thought that my parents would give in to her childish demands. But later, I learned why they agreed.

Usually, Anu gets punished whenever she starts an issue like this. This time, dad believed that Anu deserves to be taken seriously as her demand this time was not for herself but for the wellbeing of her mom.

I will skip the boring details.

There were multiple tests and it took a few weeks. In the end, mom was diagnosed with the earliest stage of breast cancer.

This was a big shock to dad and mom. But for me, it was a great relief. Since we were able to identify it at the earliest stage, the tragedy that happened in my previous life could be avoided.

Dad felt guilty for no reason. So he decided to take leave from his job for six months. They also made multiple visits to the hospital. Unfortunately, they left me at home with a babysitter or aunty whenever they went.

In my previous life, mom's cancer was diagnosed late. This was one of the biggest tragedies in our life. Just by sending Anu on a hunger strike, I managed to avoid it. I was pretty happy with the result.

The next tragedy I wanted to avoid was a scandal in Lakshmi aunty's hospital.

Lakshmi aunty's dad, Bose inherited the hospital from his father. He was a cunning man. He used the excuse that Lakshmi aunty was a doctor to get the hospital from his father. His brother Sekhar got the pharmacy and his sister inherited the canteen. Strangely, his brother agreed to this arrangement.

Unfortunately, Bose didn't know what his brother was planning. 

Sekhar found a way to make a quick profit through the pharmacy. He was selling counterfeit medicine through the pharmacy. In the future, one nurse from the hospital would find the secret and she would expose it. She did it with good conscience. But the incident blew out of proportions and ended with the hospital being taken over by the government.