063 "My son"

"Did you go hunting when we were not here?" Dad asked mom.

"..." Mom didn't have any reply.  She glared at me. In my defence, there was nothing we could do. There was no way we could hide it. So I did what I had to save my ass.

"Ahhh... daughter... how could you do this? You have injured Jacky. He hasn't eaten anything since then. What am I going to do if anything happens to him?" He started wailing.

Seriously? I didn't know what to say. Because the calf was happily eating the balsam flowers in chacha's garden. He was a picky eater. He ate only the flowers and ignored the leaves.

"Did you name the cow 'Jacky'?" I asked.

"It's a bull. Not a cow." He replied. Even then, Jacky was definitely not a name for a bull.

"I... I will pay for the calf." Mom decided to take responsibility for the calf.

"Pay for him? how can you say that? He is my son." The old man was offended.

"Which son? The eldest?" Chachan asked instantly. I gave him a thumbs-up in my mind.

"You..." The old man was speechless for a moment.

"He is like a son to me." He corrected his words.

"Mani uncle, what Riya was trying to say was..." Dad tried to ease the situation

"Who are you calling uncle? I'm not that old. Stand back, kid." He scolded dad before he could complete his argument.

Dad made a helpless expression and said nothing. Handling these old people was no easy task. To make things worse, these guys were from the generation of dad's parents. So we simply couldn't offend them.

"Who is his mother?" I asked.

"Cough..." The old man coughed and looked at me.

"Whose is this one?" He asked.

"He's mine," Appa answered.

"Hmm... He does look like you." He nodded in approval.

I liked it.

"Elder brother... I thought it was a boar and shot it. It is only a small injury. We can take him to the hospital and he will be fine in no time." Mom tried to handle the situation. Even though the old man was older than her parents, she called him elder brother.

"Then what about the pain he had to go through? Do you know how close he was to me? After my wife passed away, he was my all." the old man started crying.

"What the hell are you talking about? Your wife died thirty years ago. Also, you had no shortage of women after that." Chachan replied annoyingly.

"Iyamma, what does 'no shortage of women' mean?" I asked mom with an innocent face. This is a fun game I play sometimes. Whenever adults say something with hidden meaning, I would ask them for an explanation and watch them struggle to come up with explanations.

"That means he had many friends." Mom answered instantly. She didn't forget to glare at chachan before that. Chachan had an apologetic look.

"Ohh... I also no shortage of girls." I announced.

"Achu, don't say like that." Mom tried to stop me.

"Why? I have Aani, Meera and ..." Mom covered my mouth before I could finish.

Most of the elders were trying to control their laughter.

"Hey... I am still here." Mani uncle reminded us that we were forgetting the main issue at hand.