Chapter Three

Kayla bumps my shoulder when the plane finally lands, waking me up.  I rub my eyes, groggy from sleep. I yawn and grab my carry on, pulling my phone out and turning the power back on. I lean slightly out of my seat. Kayla steps out of our row, ducking her head as she walks through the exit.  I follow her down the long hallway that leads out to the ground floor. My parents and siblings hurry behind us. 

We wait by the luggage rack in silence, watching people pass. The luggage belt starts spitting out differnt types of suitcases, my purple on at the front. I grab it and roll it outsie, my back protesting at the sudden movement. Kayla and I head to our blue rental car, my family taking their own. We have a different hotel and rental car so we can enjoy the trip together. 

"I"m so sore." I groan as we pull out of the London airport, my parents behind us. 

"We should go out tonight...like the two of us." Kayla switches on her turn signal. I nod.

"We should..." I look through my text messages. All from Dylan. My chest tightens. I'm trapped.

"Forget about Dylan Katie. Your relationship is not healthy." Kayla glances over at my phone. 

"Kayla I love you but I can take care of myself." I quickly let Dylan know we landed.

"I'm just looking out for you."

"Can we not talk about him?" I ask, looking out the window. I spot Big Ben in the distance. "It's so amazing here." I whisper. 

"It really is. Your mom said we have a great hotel." I nod. I take a deep breath. We pull into our hotel. The Dorechester. 

"Oh my god it's beautiful." I lean forward so I can get a better look at it. 

"Your mom was soo right." Kayla says. We park the car and grab our stuff. I follow Kayla inside so we can get our room number. The lady at the front desk smiles at us as we walk in.

"Hi, reservation for Rudd." Kayla rests her hands on the marble desktop. The lady taps in my last name in her keyboard. 

"Floor 10 room 478." The lady hands me a key and we walk toward the elevator. Kayla presses the up button and the shiny silver doors bling open. We step in, rolling our bags behind us. I push the 10 button and lean back against the wall. The last time I was in an elevator, I was with Dylan. My heart races at the thought of him. But not in a good way, not in the way I should feel. My heart races with anxiety. I look down at my shoes and close my eyes, blocking out Kayla's hums. 

* * * * 

I close the bathroom door behind me after I finish unpacking my clothes. I pull my shirt over my head and turn around, looking at the large gauze pad that covers me still fresh cuts. I bite my lip and pull the soft material away from my skin. I stare at the tiny cuts covering my back. Dylan did this to me. He wasn't even sorry. The man I thought I loved hurt me. I feel the familiar burn of tears behind my eyelids. 

"Katie?" Kayla's soft voice echos behind the door. I open it and look at her, a tear spilling down my cheek.

"Let me see." She steps around me and looks at my raw flesh. "Oh my god." She whispers. I nod and grab my clean guaze pad from the counter.

"I need to put this on.'' I hand ot Kayla so she can help me. She gently presses it on my back. I ignore the sting of protest and pull my shirt back on.

"I have an idea where we can go tonight." Kayla says, following me out of the bathroom. I wipe my cheeks.

"Where?" I ask, plopping down on my bed.

"A bar down the street. We used to go to bars all the time." Kayla opens the closet and pulls out two black body con dresses.

"Put this on." She tosses me one. I smile at her.

* * * * 

I used to enjoy bars. The energy, the drinks, the dancing. Now I can't stand the crowds and sweat, the smells of different colognes and perfumes. Ever since Dylan came into my life. my social anxiety rose and it's been hard to enjoy little things I used to love doing with Kayla.

I follow Kayla into the dark club, pushing the cluster of people near the front door. I hold my hands in tight fists as we walk through the dark room until we reach the long bar that stretches throught the enitre club. I push myself up onto the red leather stools, my feet dangling slightly. 

Kayla sets her purse on the counter and snaps her fingers at the bartender.  He turns around and smiles.

"What can I get you two lovely ladies tonight?" He rests his hands on the granite counter.

"Two beers." Kayla says, holding up two fingers. 

"Coming right up." He turns away from us and grabs two tall glasses from the drawer. 

A man scoots in next to Kayla, leaning over. She looks at him. He smiles at her. 

"Hi." He says, holding out his hand. She takes it. 

"I'm Louis, and thats Harry." I look to my right. The man thats supposedly Harry smiles at me, dimples appearing on his cheeks. My heart flutters. 

"I'll pay for this Eric." Harry says as the bartender hands Kayla and I our drinks. 

"Oh, no you dont have to do that." I say, holding the cold glass in between my small hands. 

"A beautiful girl like you, I can't resist." My cheeks warm. He runs a hand through his shoulder length curls. 

"You don't look like you're enjoying yourself." Harry messes with a ring on his middle finger. I glance at his tattooed arms.

"I'm not one for bars anymore." I say, taking a sip of my drink. "My names Katie, by the way...if you were wondering." I say, stumbling over my words. He chuckles, looking down at the counter.

"I'm glad you told me or else I'd have to call you sweatheart." He looks back up at me, his emerald green eyes making me nervous. I laugh, not knowing what to say.

"I know a place just down the block where we can get wonderful pastries." Harry laces his hands together. I look over at Kayla, another drink in her hand and a smile plasterd on her face as Louis talks to her. 

"That would be great." I say, hopping of the stool. Harry places his hand on my waist, pushing me through the crowd. The cold wind washes over my face as the doors swing open. 

"It's right over here." He says, stopping at another glass door. The bell tinkles as we walk in. The smell of fresh bread and sweets overwhelming me.

"Pick what you want." I step away from Harry and scan the different pastries. I feel his eyes watching me as I move down the row. 

"They all look wonderful" I muse. I hear him laugh. "I'll take the macaroon." I say, looking back up Harry. He walks around the counter and pushes the glass lid open. He grabs the chocolate one and hands it to me.

"I used to work here." He says. I raise my eyebrows. "What part of America are you from?" Harry runs his hand through his dark hair again. 

"California." I push my long dark curls off my shoulder. 

"That sounds lovely." He touches his ring again. 

"I should probably head back to Kayla..." I say, looking over my shoulder. Harry drops his head in a nod. 

"You should." He leads me back to the bar where we find Kayla and Louis on their fourth glass of beer.

"We need to go." I say, grabbing the glass out of Kayla's hand. She frowns. 

"Thank you, Harry for a lovely evening." I grab my hand bag and pull it on my shoulder. 

"I hope to see you again." He hands me a small slip of paper. I nod. I grab Kayla's hand and push through the crowds of dancing people, the smell of perfume and sweat.  We get to our rental car. I push Kayla into the passenger seat and turn the car into ignition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter three finally published! 

I hope you en joy it!!