I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 27

Alexis POV

I poked the mushrooms on my plate, enjoying the way it oozed out juice. Anything was better than having eye contact with Eric.

"How's work so far?" he asked, trying to keep our conversation going. I felt like the whole world could hear us since there was no one else but Eric and I at the restaurant.

I sighed. As much as I hated talking about work, I had no choice but to answer. "Eh, it's all right. I mean, what could beat making coffees all day?" I said loudly, breaking into a soft laugh.

"I see. Well are you planning to go into something else?"

"Yeah I guess.. I don't want to work at Starbucks all my life you know."

He laughed, and then cleared his throat. All of a sudden, his hands crept up to the table and grabbed my hand. I froze, my heart hammering loudly against my chest. Could he hear it?

"Look, Alexis.... I-I-"

This is wrong. Very wrong.

I snapped back into reality and took my hand back. "Look, this isn't right," I began to explain, but he quickly cut me off and snatched my hand back again.

"I'm sorry... I was stupid.. I was way too obsessed with my career." he started.

"Stop this." I said in an authoritative voice.

"No, listen-"

"No, look I have a boyfriend already." I spat out and watched his undescribable reaction. It was a mixture of hurt and confusion. He stared at me, dumbfounded.

"What?"

Just as I opened my mouth to speak again, I saw a figure behind Eric. The figure was tall.. well built.. And suddenly, like a camera, my vision went into focus mode.

Oh, no.

Chase was walking towards our table, his hands closed in a tight fist. No, please no.

"Chase, I can explain-" I said as I stood up. His eyes were burning in anger, and his jaws were clenched tightly. I was scared at that moment. I'd never seen him so angry... not even when we were younger.

He pushed me aside, and like a light little feather, I jammed stomach first into the table right beside us. I groaned in pain while I clutched my stomach, gathering strength to turn my head and to try to stop Chase.

"Don't fucking push my girl!" I heard Eric shout, his voice thick with rage.

"Last time I checked, I was her boyfriend you little prick!" Chase yelled and raised his fist up in the air, getting ready to punch the lights out of Eric.

He went for Eric's stomach, immediately making him collapse on the floor. I quickly ran to his side. "Chase, stop! He's just a friend!" I cried as I blinked back tears. Damn it, now wasn't the time to cry! I held Eric's shoulder as he struggled to get up. His hands were still on his stomach.

"Is that all you got?" he smirked and opened his arms out, showing that he was still ready to fight. Eric you dumbass!

"No, I got more," and again, he got ready to punch, this time, at Eric's face. But he was quick enough to dodge it.

"You son of a bitch!" Chase shouted, now looking even more angry. His eyebrows were knitted together, and his breathing was rapid.

In a split second, his fist landed on Eric's jaw, sending him flying into the chair and down to the floor. I gasped. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I ran towards Eric with a speed I didn't know I had. Just as Chase got ready to go at it again, I stood in front of Eric.

"Get out of my way." he said coldly, his expression still mad as hell. I swallowed.

"No. We can talk about this calmly!" I yelled loudly. The waiters and receptionist were now running towards us, their faces masked with worry and fear. NOW THEY COME? WHAT THE HECK.

"NO! How calm do you want me to be after seeing you holding hands with this asshole, huh?"

"We weren't holding hands! It was just a misunderstanding!" I explained as I watched the security grab him by the arms and restrain him.

"Oh, so his hands somehow landed on yours and for some reason you decided to just stay in that position? Bullshit of the damn year, Alexis!" He screamed as he shook off the officers hand. He turned and headed for the door.

"Where the hell are you going?" My stupid dam burst. Ugh, I hate crying. Especially for a guy.

"Out of here. Call me when you decide not to be such a whore."

Excuse me, a whore? How dare he call me a whore! He's the one who didn't give me the chance to explain!

I fell onto the floor, my face in my palms, crying my eyes out. Those words... they hurt so much.

"Alexis?" Eric called out softly from behind.

I can't let him see me like this, I was so miserable. "Go away."

"No, he's not worth your time Alexis." I felt his hands on my shoulder and I jumped back a little.

"Stupid jerk. Asshole. Mean whale face!" I cried even louder as I remembered myself calling him a whale face the first time we met.

"Let's go. You need some rest." I felt a heavy blanket over my back, and realized it was Eric's jacket.

"C'mon." He whispered after apologizing to the restaurant staff. I was still sobbing like a child on the floor when he gently pulled me up and led me to his car.

"T-Thanks." I said, my voice still shaky.

"No problem.