I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 35

Alexis POV

I watched Chase's back as his silhouette faded into the night. My face felt frozen, as if my tears had turned to ice and worse, there was a terrible ache in my ankle. But that's not the bad part. In my chest, I had this dreadful feeling. The feeling of being left all alone. The feeling of being abandoned.

I remained sitting on the icy sidewalk and watched absentmindedly as cars passed by. A few minutes later, a pair of black shoes stood before me. My eyes followed the long legs and I looked up to find Eric looking down at me with a sympathetic face.

"I don't need your sorry." I told him, still staring into space.

"I wasn't sorry for what I did." he said bluntly, his jaws clenching as he hovered over me.

I gave a shaky laugh and saw the cold air come out of my lips. "You should be," my eyes began to sting, and I knew I would give in any moment now, "You ruined it..."

He scoffed, "Ruined what, Alexis?" he asked, "He's about to be married to someone else. Open your eyes, for god's sake!"

I looked down and let the tears silently trickle down my numb cheeks. "But he loves me."

"No he doesn't. If he did, he would've stopped the announcement. If he did, he'd be by your side. If he truly loved you, you wouldn't be sitting on your ass in the middle of the sidewalk while it's snowing."

I winced at every sentence, realizing every word he'd said was partly true. If he really did love me, then why wasn't he here with me? If he truly cared....  why hadn't he helped me when I fell?

I didn't reply to Eric and he remained standing while I sat on the ground. We listened to each other's rhythmic breathing until Eric broke the silence. He bent down and gently held my elbow.

"Let's go." he whispered.

"No." I sniffed, "I'm staying here til' he comes."

Eric glared at me and I watched as his jaws tightened and his grip on my arm strengthen. "You're going to freeze to death because of the bloody bastard? I won't let it, Alexis." he said sternly as he pulled me up, forcing me to put pressure on my injured ankle. I let out a groan of pain.

"Ugh." I frowned.

He put his hands on my waist, balancing my body as my other leg hung in the air. "I'll carry you."

By this time, I felt to tired, too wasted to argue. I simply looked at him while he squatted down, gesturing me to get on his back. I hopped onto it and he stood up, his hands supporting both my thighs.

My mind couldn't help but remember... when Chase had piggyback-ed me that day when we went to the beach. My stupid emotions gave in again, causing my chest to tighten up. I swallowed the lump in my throat, deciding that from now on, I wouldn't cry anymore. Maybe tonight I will.

But certainly not again.

Being hurt once was painful.

But twice, I think it has killed my heart.

I closed my eyes firmly, forcing a single tear to slide out smoothly all the way down to my jaw. That's the last tear I'll cry for you, Chase.

The last.