I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 34

Alexis POV

I looked at Mrs. Johnson, my mind completely blank. Was she going to introduce me as the love of his life? Has she finally accepted me?

My heart suddenly began the pound, and my ears waited anxiously for whatever she was going to say next.

Breathe, Alexis.

"And I think it's about time that you all meet the person he's madly inlove with." this time, I saw her smirk. And I swear, it couldn't be a good sign.

"Please welcome," deep inhale... "Cassandra Philipps." exhale.

I gazed at the front stage for a few seconds, before it hit me. The audience clapped as Cassandra, dressed in an elegant red dress entered the room. She made her way towards the stage, locking eyes with me and smirking before moving on.

My eyes turned to Chase, who was now standing, his eyebrows knitted at his mom. For a second he looked at me, as if he was apologizing through eye contact. I shook my head as tears formed, and I ran out.

I know the whole room saw me run out. But I didn't care. I just ran out.

I pushed the heavy doors of the building and ran out into the cold, not giving a shit that I was wearing a strapless dress. I could hear Monica's heels clicking behind me while she frantically called my name out. "Alexis! Wait!"

Just run, Alexis. Go somewhere else. Anywhere but here.

I kept running, listening to the fading clicks of my sister's shoes. Then, it began to snow. I stopped for a moment to catch my breath. I was alone on the sidewalk, with no one to turn to. Finally, my tears erupted out of my eyes, and I fell onto the cold pavement, clutching my knees to my chest.

And like a thunder, the truth hit me, causing an unbelievable pain in my chest. I'm not good enough for him. I'm not rich, just plain looking and most of all, my parents didn't own some huge corporation. Tears continued to spill out, and I took rough wipes at my wet cheeks, desperately trying to steady my nerves.

A hand fell on my shoulder, and I jumped back causing me to fall on my behind. I looked up, surprised to see Eric hovering over me with a concerned look on my face.

He squatted down to my level, a hand supporting my arm. "What's wrong?" he asked.

I shook my head violently, "Nothing."

"You're lying." he said as he helped me up. His hands brushed the snow off my dress. "I was there, Alexis."

"It's not fair." I cried. He pulled my head into his chest, and I buried my face in his neck. I let my tears trickle down, not having a care in the world. "It's not fair." I repeated in between sobs.

"Shhh..." he rocked me back and forth, "Don't worry, I'm right here." He pushed my head back and looked me in the eyes. I looked away, embarassed at my childishness. He gently pressed his lips against my forehead. "I'll be here for you, Alexis. As a friend." he smiled genuinely, and I returned it with a forced smile. It was painful to try and curve my lips. Instead, it turned into a frown.

I looked up at Eric, but his gaze was focused on something behind me. Suddenly, he pulled me into a kiss. My hands tried to push him away, but his grip on my shoulders were too tight. After a few seconds, he pulled away, a smirk lingering on his lips. His eyes were still focused on something behind me. Confused, I turned around.

Chase.

"Chase..." I whispered as our gazes met. There was an angry look on his face. He shook his head, then started to back up until he turned around and started to walk away.

I froze for a moment, before my head finally told me to run after him. Eric got a hold of my arm and I snapped it off, scowling at him for giving Chase the wrong impression.

"Chase! Wait!" I called out for him while I did my best to run in my heels.The cold air was starting to numb my face, but it didn't matter. I had to explain.

I watched his back while he walked rapidly. Suddenly, a sharp pain hit my my ankle, and I stumbled forward, my hand scraping against the rough pavement as I fell. I let out a scream.

Chase turned around. For a second, a look of worry crossed his face. But his expression turned cold again before he turned around and walked away.

"Owwwwwwwwwww!" I yelled after I felt a sharp pain in my knee. I stayed on my stomach for a few seconds, before struggling to get up.

I heard footsteps rushing towards me. Well, who could it be?

"Are you okay?" his voice was worried. He hurdled me up into his arms. Wow, he's strong..

"I-I'm fine. Can you put me down?" I asked, my heartbeat accelerating for some reason. I felt my cheeks heat up. Good thing it was dark out.

"I can't. How are you gonna walk?" he argued, his hands squeezing my knees a bit.

"Can you just put me down, seriously?" my tone was irritated because I was starting to get annoyed. I kicked my feet frantically in the air.

"Will you cut it out? Fine, I'll put you down. But don't call me when you realize you can't walk because your ankles hurt."

"I don't need you!" I hissed as I practically jumped off his arms while he was putting me down. I winced at the pain in my ankle. Ugh. He was right.

Just as he was starting to walk off, I debated with myself whether or not I should ask him for help. Screw my pride.

"Hey, Ch-Chase! Wait, help me!"

He turned around and smirked. But he didn't come towards me. Instead, he stood at his spot and crossed his arms, looking at me as if I was forgetting something. "Well? What's the magic word?"

I rolled my eyes. "Shut up! Just help me!"

No reply.

I drew a slow deep breath, before saying a word I barely ever have to say. "Please?"