I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 33

I'm considering longer chapters but updating less frequently... let me know by commenting (: Please don't forget to vote!!

Kayla Shay

--------------------------

Alexis POV

My feet came to a halt, noticing that Mrs. Johnson's attention was now focused on me. I gulped before turning to Monica.

"I think we should leave." I said, looking down as I started to turn back.

Monica held my shoulders, forcing me to face forward. "It's fine. I'm right here. I know you're scared of her... don't worry, I am too."

I sighed while I continued to walk, praying in my head that somehow, Mrs. Johnson wouldn't notice us passing by. But as if on cue, she began making her way towards us. I stopped. There was a smile on her face. Fake, obviously.

"Oh, hi dear! I'm glad you came!" she exclaimed, scanning my outfit, and then rolling her eyes. All while there was a fake smile pasted on her face. "I'm happy you could... join us in this celebration."

I stared at her in shock, unsure of what to say. What was with the nice act? Surely she hadn't planned anything to embarass me tonight, right?

I forced a smile and looked her hard in the eye. "I came here to show I wasn't weak. Also, I wouldn't want to miss an important moment of Chase's life. After all, I am the one he loves, am I right?" I pushed myself to laugh and watched her angrily glare at me. If she wanted to play the faking game, then I'm up for it. I wasn't going to let her push me around this time.

"Of course, of course." she cleared her throat before gesturing us towards the grand doors to the hall. "You can take a seat now, we will be proceeding with the... celebration."

Before I could reply, Monica interejected, grabbing my arm. "Thank you, Mrs. Johnson. We will be on our way now." she said before eyeing me and pulling me towards the door.

"I was going to say something, you know." I whispered when we were far enough from the Chase's mom.

"If I were you, I wouldn't do that. That woman is one hell of a female dog."

We both broke into laughter, but quickly straightening up as we entered the huge dining hall. I looked around in amazement. There were crystal chandeliers in the ceiling, as well as many dining tables covered in white, each with names on it. Up front, there was a stage, and directly under and in front, was a long table. My pulse quickened as I noticed who was seated behind it; Chase.

Our gazes met and I felt my face heat up, so I turned away, directing my attention to an awestruck Monica.

"Where should we sit?" I said, ignoring the fact that Chase was still looking at me.

She snapped out of it and asked, "Here?" pointing to a table nearby.

"Uh, sure." I pulled out a seat, and proceeded to sit down at a spot where I had direct view of Chase. He was still looking intently at me, his face masked with confusion. He was about to stand up when the man beside him started talking. I ignored him and drew a slow breath as I looked around, watching people as they conversed quietly within their own tables. They were all dressed in elegant clothing- definitely much nicer than my $50 dress. Suddenly, I felt like I didn't belong here.

A waiter passed by, and I slightly raised my hand, signaling for him to come over. I smiled at him and took a glass of wine- or whatever it was, gulped it down. Suddenly, my throat began to burn and I gagged from the disgusting after taste in my mouth. I went into a coughing fit, before Monica passed me a glass of water.

Panting heavily, I thanked her. "God, what was that?"

Monica chuckled, picked up the cup and examined it. She looked back at me and shrugged. "I don't know. It seems to be really strong,"

"Yeah, I figured."

Then the lights went dim and the spotlights at the front stage came alive. People around clapped. I flipped my phone open, wondering what time it was 7:43, but I was feeling sleepy already. I yawned as I looked up front. Mrs. Johnson was walking gracefully towards the mic, smiling as if she was an angel.

"Ladies and gentlemen, our company is proud to present our new CEO, Chase Morgan Johnson!" she gestured her arm down to where he was sitting. Chase stood up, his eyes locked on mine. My heartbeat sped up as I looked away. He bowed and waved before taking a seat.

Mrs. Johnson's laugh echoed through the hall. "And there's one more surprise for you folks tonight. As we all know, a man of my son's age is bound to fall in love with the woman of he dreams." she smiled, looking directly at me. My brows furrowed.

What is going on...