I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 1

Alexis rummaged through her closet, frantically flipping everything upside down. “Where the hell is my purple top?!” She tucked her bangs behind her ears, before picking up a plum colored tube top.

“Here it is! Finally!” and with a grin on her face she put it on, spinning around the mirror and admiring her favorite piece of clothing. She paired it with black jeans and who knows how many inches stilletos.

Just then, her sister, Monica entered the room. “Wow, you look hot,” she commented with a smile on her face. “Too bad you ain’t getting’ out of this house once dad sees you dressed like that.” She raised an eyebrow, looking at her from head to toe.

Alexis turned to the mirror and plumped her lips with lip-gloss. “Too bad he won’t see me because you’ll be distracting him, right?” she replied, her voice full of hinting. “You get what I mean?”

Monica sighed. Her sister was going out again today. This has been her usual routine ever since the day her boyfriend broke up with her. Somehow Monica understood. They went out for two years, after all.  She groaned at the thought of making some lame distraction for her dad again, surely he’d be used to it and he’d know Alexis was going out. Oh well, she thought. Trying doesn’t hurt.

“Fine. But you owe me big time. And promise me one thing?” her eyes narrowed.

Alexis shrugged. “Depends.” She continued putting on her eye shadow.

Monica walked over to her sister, demanding her to pay attention. “Look at me.”

Scratching her head in annoyance, Alexis exhaled, raising her chin up to look at her sister. “I’m looking. And please hurry? The club opens at 10.”

“Look for someone new. I don’t like you coming home with hickeys in weird places. Besides, I know you haven’t moved on.” She crossed her arms, studying her sister’s expression closely. You’re caught, she smirked.

Gathering up her makeup and shoving them roughly in her makeup bag, she stood up and pulled up her tube top. Typical Alexis, always changing the topic, Monica said to herself. “I have to go.  I’m going through the front door. Don’t forget to make some loud noise to cover up the sound of the door.” She explained while putting pillows in a row on her bed and covering it with her comforter. Perfect trick for her dad if he ever comes in. She will be ‘asleep’, so he won’t want to disturb her and he will leave. Gee I’m so smart, Alexis smiled to herself.

Monica stood at the doorway, watching her sister prepare her not-so-foolproof plan. Her heart told her that Alexis wasn’t okay. And she wants to find someone for her. She was twenty-four for God’s sake, and she doesn’t even have a steady boyfriend. Just little flings now and then, but nothing serious. This time, she will find a guy that will turn her world upside down. And sideways.

Monica smirked to herself as she flipped open her phone and dialed a number. Leaving Alexis’ room and walking down the hallway to the living room, she spoke softly. “Hello? She’s on her way. Oh- and don’t forget to spill something on her top. It’s her favorite top.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t.” a small chuckle came from the other line.

“All right good. Everything’s set then? You’re ready?”

“Yes.”

Hate is just a thin line from love? I think so… Monica muttered to herself.