I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 30

Alexis POV

I woke up with a jolt, my hands flying up to my forehead as I checked if I had a fever. And I was right. My hand burned from the heat. My head was still throbbing while I walked to the bathroom. I stared at my face.

There were bags under my eyes, probably from my lack of sleep from the night before. My eyelids were puffy and my eyes were full of bloodshots. I wasn't surprised. I cried half the night.

Hastily, I got ready and headed for Chase's office. We needed to sort this out. I knew we weren't over, we can't be. I won't let it. I love him too much to let go.

"Where are you going?" I  heard Monica ask from behind as I walked down the stairs.

"Oh, the mall." I lied. I hadn't told her about our break up. Well, that's because I'm not going to believe for a second that we did.

"I see. Buy me something!" I heard her giggle. Too bad I wasn't really going to the mall.

---------------------------------------

Chase POV

My face was buried in stacks of paper as I desperately tried to focus. My thoughts kept tracing back to Alexis. I wondered if she was okay. Did she get home? If so, how? Did that jerk drop her off?

I shook my head, trying to push the thoughts out of my head. This was a busy month in our company and I had no time to think about other things.

Maybe.... maybe I should have let her explain. But I couldn't calm down. It's like the devil took over me... seeing another man holding her hand. I just can't take it. I never will be able to. But in what situation will she ever have to hold hands with anyone else but me?

From the pit of my stomach, anger began to churn, again. I took a slow, steady deep breath, trying to calm my nerves.

Stop it, Chase. If she loved you, she'll come back. But when? Maybe I should go to her. I can't live without her... I waited far too long...

I heard the rattle of the door knob, followed by Cassandra walking in. My eyes were drawn to her slender legs as she slowly stepped towards me. "Hey, Chase," Her voice was alluring. Too bad she wasn't luring me in. I met her gaze.

"Care to knock? I believe there's no valid reason as to why you should be here." I spat.

Cassandra giggled seductively and then licked her lips. She bent over my desk. "I think, you and I should go out for lunch!" Her finger trailed my chin. I knew she was doing this to show off her cleavage. I wasn't turned on. Been there, done that.

I grabbed her wrist and glared at her. "You're desperate aren't you?"

She scoffed, and sat on my desk, crossing her legs while she was at it. "No. I want you, only you." she leaned in and smiled fakely. I rolled my eyes.