I Hate You, Jerk: Chapter 36

Chase POV

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" I hissed at my mom who was standing victoriously in front of me. She smirked.

"If I did, would you have showed up?" she raised an eyebrow. She was right, I wouldn't have. But did it hurt to give me a hint, or something?

I clenched my fists tightly, "So you did what you wanted? You're controlling my life? Are you happy?"

"As a matter of fact, yes I am. Very. Don't you even dare screw this up, Chase. A future with Cassandra is the best you can get. You'll never have to suff-"

"Money isn't everything, Mom!" I yelled at her, glaring with such intense rage, "How could you do that? Do you honestly expect me to just go and  get engaged with her?"

"Yes, I do. I know you will."

I scoffed. "Are you sure about that?"

"I am. Don't forget, Morgan & Johnson's Corporation owns half the Starbucks chains in all of America." she smiled warningly, "Guess what? I own this company and I can fire your little trash girl just like that." she snapped her finger and smirked at me.

"So you'll go as far as firing her just to get what you want? She can find another job, I'll help her find another job. How the hell did you even know she worked there?" my eyebrows furrowed.

"I have my ways. Go ahead and I can keep firing her. I have more power than you think, son. I can do what I want, when I want and how I want. We can keep playing these games, if you like." she cocked her head to the side and crossed her arm.

I stood up from my seat and pointed at the door. "Leave."

"You have a month. A month to get your act together and get involved in this engagement." and with that, she turned on her heels and left, slamming the door behind her. For a few seconds, I glared angrily at the closed door, muttering a few curses while throwing random things around the room. Finally, at the end of my rage, I flopped down onto the chair, panting. I smeared my face with my palm. Why can't I just get what I want? Why can't I just be with who I want?

Alexis POV  

I stared at the tv absentmindedly, my fingers pressing down constantly on the remote as I flipped the channels. My feet were rested on the centre table as I munched down on Old Dutch Dill Pickle potato chips. My mind suddenly drifted off to Chase... I haven't seen him for almost 24 hours... I quickly shook my head. Stop thinking about Chase, Alexis. Remember, you won't cry for him anymore?

I was startled by a loud slamming on the door. My pulse quickened as I froze mid-chew and looked at the front door. Oh god, was there a killer? The slamming continued, and I carefully speedwalked towards the kitchen, grabbing a knife. With the phone in my other hand, I hid behind the couch, wrapping my arms around me knees. My chest countinued to pound like crazy. Dear god, I don't want to die yet! There's so many things I've yet to do!