2. A Motherless Child

Oh, I hope some day
I'll make it out of here
Even if it takes all night or
a hundred years
Need a place to hide, but
I can't find one near
Wanna feel alive, outside
I can't fight my fear

Taahir frowned and asked, "Tahseen, tell me what's wrong."

"I don't like Auntie Rosa," his son replied directly.

He understood his son's thoughts immediately.

"You don't want me to marry her?"

The boy was silent so Taahir took that as a yes.

"Why don't you like her?" Taahir continued his line of questioning, "She has been extremely nice to you, hasn't she?"

One of the reasons Taahir agreed to the marriage was because he had seen how good Rosa treated Tahseen. He didn't mind who he married but if he had to marry one, he might as well find one that could be a good stepmother to Tahseen.

Rosa was the best candidate because his whole family approved of her and she was kind to Tahseen.

Therefore, it came as a surprise for his son to reveal that he didn't like his fiancé.

"She's nice to me because I'm your son. I'm just a tool for her to get to you."

Taahir's face dropped. "That's not a nice thing to say."

"The truth is never good on the ears!" Tahseen said with wisdom beyond his years, "Why do you care? You've never asked for my opinion about who you should marry anyway. I'm just the extra baggage."

Tahseen hopped off the counter and stalked off in an angry fit.

"Stand right there!" Taahir ordered sternly, "Tahseen, who taught you to speak like this to your own father? Where are your manners?"

Tahseen was already upset, being lectured only made him more morose. He turned around obstinately, his eyes swirling with sadness and dissatisfaction.

Taahir was stunned...
When he came to, Tahseen was already gone.

Taahir ran out to chase after his son. He caught up to him at the restaurant's entrance. He turned Tahseen around and was surprised to see tears rolling in his son's eyes.

Tahseen had always been a quiet child. He could spend a whole afternoon in silence in the company of a good book.

He was in all meanings of the word, a model child. He was not given to childish fits and outbursts.

His behavior today was definitely out of the ordinary. This was also the first time Taahir saw his son so upset.

When he divorced Tahera, Tahseen was only one-year-old. The mother wasn't a part of the boy's life for the past three years.

Taahir thought this meant that Tahseen had gotten used to being raised in Tahera's absence, but he didn't realize his son had merely been stuffing his emotions deep down.

Looking at his son, Taahir had no appetite to continue the dinner anymore.

After a brief phone call to his mom, he brought Tahseen home. In the car, Tahseen kept his eyes on the scenery outside the window. His small figure spoke of loneliness and forlornness.

Taahir sat beside him silently. When they passed the hospital, his thoughts went to Tahera.

He wondered if she had woken up. Taahir couldn't help but be reminded of her current situation. He was sure Tahseen wouldn't bear to see his mother like that.