5. Check of 100 Million

Can we pretend that
airplanes in the night sky
are like shootin' stars
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now

Aaban asked curiously, "Who could that be?"

They weren't used to entertaining guests so his interest was piqued. He opened the door to find a young man in a sharp business suit.

"Excuse me, does Miss Tahera Tabassum live here?" the man asked politely.

Aaban nodded, "She does but who are you, why are you looking for my sister?"

The man smiled, "I'm Mr. Taahir Rahman's personal assistant, my name is Nadir Sheikh. CEO wants me to send something over to Miss Tahera. May I know if she's home?"

The moment Nadir revealed he worked for the Rahman Family, Aaban's expression dimmed.

However, his good manners still compelled him to say, "My sister is not feeling so well at the moment, but please come in."

"Thank you."

The horrible sound proofing of their apartment's walls and the apartment's cramped overall space meant that Tahera could hear their exchange even though she was inside her bedroom.

Their apartment only had two rooms and one living area. The living area was barely big enough to fit the little furniture they had.

Aaban led Nadir into Tahera's bedroom where a sickly Tahera laid slumped against her bed's headboard.

Nadir's measured expression slipped for a moment to reveal his shock. He couldn't believe the fragile looking woman in the room was the same woman he once served as his boss' wife and the young master's mother...

His temporary shock was quickly covered up by his good training, and he deferentially presented a cheque to Tahera.

"Nice to meet you again, Miss Tabassum. CEO wants me to present this to you. He said this originally belongs to you so please accept it."

Even before Tahera laid her eyes on it, she knew it was a cheque for one hundred million BDT.

She guessed correctly that Taahir had just found out the alimony cheque given to her three years ago was rejected. She rejected it three years ago and she was going to reject it again.

"Tell your boss I'm thankful but I can't accept this. He doesn't owe me anything so I won't take this from him," Taahir said nonchalantly.

Nadir was surprised. Confused, he added, "Miss Tahera, aren't you going to check how much money is on it first?"

"It's one hundred million, right?"

"Yes..." Nadir's shock only deepened. Since she knew how much money was on it, why would she reject it outright?

Tahera noticed his confusion so she answered, "I didn't take the money three years ago and the thought to claim it hadn't even crossed my mind, so I won't accept it now. Go back and tell Taahir the only thing he owes me is to give our son a good life."

"But..."

"Aaban, please help me show Mr. Sheikh out. I'm tired."

"Mr. Sheikh, you heard my sister. We won't accept his money," Aaban echoed as he moved to lead Nadir out.

Before Nadir left their home, he tried to persuade Aaban to accept the cheque on his sister's behalf but his offer was firmly rejected.

Staring at the closed wooden door, Nadir couldn't help but be intrigued by this family.