41. The Truth

If you love me, if you hate me
You can't save me, baby, baby
All my life I've been good
But, now what the hell
What? What? What? What the hell?

However, her face was one of understanding. "Taahir must have done it for Tahseen. Next time, you have to think about yourself and about everyone else. God forbid, if anything were to happen to you, what will the rest of us do?"

The tears arrived on cue. She played the part of concerned fiancé to the tee.

Mrs. Haseena quickly went to comfort her. She reprimanded Taahir lightly, "Of course, we should help others whenever we can – but, Taahir, you have to learn to read the situation. This time you were lucky to escape with only a minor wound. You're no longer responsible for only yourself, you're marrying Rosa soon. What would the poor girl do if something bad happened to you?"

"Auntie, it's fine. We shouldn't blame Taahir," Rosa chimed in kindly and understandingly, "He was doing a good thing after all."

"Still, he should take care of himself before he takes care of others..."

Mrs. Haseena was ready to launch into another litany when Taahir interrupted her politely, "Alright, Mom. I understand. I will see you later because I wish to rest now."

"Taahir, I'll stay to look after you!" Rosa said gently.

"No need, I need some alone time to recuperate." Taahir rejected firmly.

Rosa pouted and bit on her lips, "But I want to stay; I promise I won't disturb you..."

"There's really no need." Taahir's tone was unwavering.

Rosa didn't want to push it for fear of annoying Taahir.

She nodded understandingly. "Okay then, promise me you'll rest well. I'll go back to cook you some broth, I'll bring them over later today."

He didn't give any response, and Rosa took that as a 'thank you'.

Mr. Rahman exchanged a few more words with his son and they all left the ward. The moment they stepped out of his room, they ran into Labib Qasim.

Spotting him, Mrs. Haseena accosted him with a giant smile. "Doctor Labib, thank you for your help looking after our Taahir. If he ever needs anything, please don't hesitate to call us."

Labib smiled back. "Auntie, don't worry. Taahir's wound is not serious, he'll heal just fine."

"That's good to know."

"By the way, Doctor Labib, do you have any information on Tahera's conditions?" Rosa suddenly chimed in to ask.

"Miss Hussain is recovering well too. I just finished checking her injuries. She is in this ward," Labib said as he pointed towards the door behind him.

So, just next door... After they bid Labib goodbye, Rosa couldn't help herself but look in when they passed Tahera's open door.

Tahera was still unconscious while Aaban sat by her bedside watching over her. When he saw them, he frowned unhappily.

"Let's go," Mrs. Haseena opened her mouth to say. In her eyes, Tahera was nothing more than a stranger.

Rosa pulled her eyes away and followed. No one saw the malevolence that flashed at the back of her eyes...

Aaban went to close the door. He didn't want to see any more unsightly people. He returned to his post by Tahera's bedside. He waited for a long time but Tahera showed no sign of waking up.

In fact, it appeared like her situation had worsened. She kept tossing and turning in her sleep. And her forehead started breaking out in cold sweat...