38. They Came to Murder Her!

Innocence, your history of silence
Won't do you any good
Did you think it would?
Let your words be anything
but empty
Why don't you tell them the truth?

On the other side of the city, Tahera's friends and family were having a party of their own.

In the basement workroom, Aaban and Murad were glued to the computer screen. They were watching Mirza Corps' stock numbers. The lower the numbers fell, the higher their mood became.

"Let's make a bet to see whether Selim will announce bankruptcy tomorrow," Aaban suggested excitedly.

Murad smirked. "I'd rather he declare himself bankrupt today!"

"Brother Murad, don't you worry. Based on how things are looking, it'll definitely happen today or tomorrow. Who would have known Selim's comeuppance would arrive so fast?"

Murad nodded solemnly. "You're right. I certainly didn't see it coming so fast."

"Let's go for a grand meal later to celebrate!" Aaban proposed happily.

Murad was quick to agree. "That sounds like a wonderful idea."

Tahera who had been working on her computer silently rejected it, "No, it's still too early to celebrate."

"Why?" Aaban queried, "Sis, even if Mirza Corps could somehow miraculously survive this, its life will be hanging on a thread. Furthermore, we did sign the partnership with Rahman Empire today. That's cause for celebration."

Tahera turned to look at them. "You two think we're in a comfortably good position now?"

Aaban and Murad stared at one another, confused by her words.

"Sis, are you not happy about this?" Aaban asked.

Tahera's face was grim. "Of course I'm happy about Murza Corps' quick downfall but I cautioned myself not to be too happy."

"Why would you do that?" It was Murad who posed the question this time.

Tahera explained softly, "Because too much of anything is bad for you, happiness included as it begets carelessness. We've not removed the root of our problem yet so we can't afford to be careless especially not now."

Aaban and Murad were taught a valuable lesson. It was as if someone sounded out an alarm in their head.

Yes, it's not yet time for us to celebrate. Selim could come for us at anytime. It was too early to celebrate because Selim, Riya, and Ruma were still alive.

"Sis, you're right, but what can we do now?" Aaban asked.

He thought that after they beat Mirza Corps at the Hacker Competition and got the partnership with Rahman Empire, they'd have reached the end of her plan.

But from the looks of things, it was only the beginning. Aaban thought Tahera would again come up with something convoluted but she only said one word.

"Wait."

Aaban was shocked. "Wait?"

Tahera nodded and explained, "That's right, all we can do now is wait. Mirza Corps is crumbling at an alarming rate. Like what the two of you said, he'll need to announce bankruptcy today or tomorrow. Selim will do everything he can to prevent that from happening. That means the only window of opportunity he has is tonight. Therefore, they'll definitely make their move tonight."

Murad frowned solemnly. "What do you think Selim will do?"

He was familiar with Selim's nature so he was worried Selim might do something crazy.