39. Time to Deal with the Vicious Mother- Daughter Pair

Then I ever thought that
I could be, baby
I used to go with the flow
Didn't really care 'bout me
You might think that I can't take it, but you're wrong
'Cause now I'm
Stronger than yesterday
Now it's nothing but my way
My loneliness ain't killing me no more
I, I'm stronger
Come on, now
Oh, yeah

Riya noticed her mother's blanched face and came forth to ask, "Mom, what's wrong? Who is it?"

Ruma widened her eyes at Riya and replied in a shaking voice, "It... it's Tahera..."

"What‽" Riya was dumbfounded.

How could it be Tahera? Wasn't Black Three on his way to kill her, how can she be here?

Riya was spooked, but she gathered her courage and peered through the peephole. Tahera was indeed standing outside their door. She glared icily at the peephole as if staring at her through it!

Riya almost screamed out in shock. Tahera was like a ghost that had returned to claim their lives. For some reason, Riya and Ruma shivered in fear.

"How is she here?" Riya asked concernedly, "Could it be that Black Three has failed?"

Ruma's face went several shades paler. "That's impossible..."

"But if not, why is she here?" The reality finally settled in for Riya. She was beside herself with worry. "Mom, what should we do? Black Three probably sold us out after he failed so she's here to confront us!"

Ruma was equally flustered but she calmed herself quickly.

"Don't be afraid. Maybe Black Three hasn't made his move yet. Furthermore, even if he fails, he will not sell us out!"

"Why?" This was the question that was bugging Riya. Only an idiot would bear the entirety of the crime and not incriminate them.

Ruma grabbed Riya's arm tightly and said under her breath, "Because he's under the impression that you're his daughter, even though you're not!"

"What..." Riya was at a loss for words. She had a hard time processing what her mom just said.

"In any case, for your sake, he won't sell us out. Let's see what Tahera wants first, don't panic..."

"Okay..." Riya nodded somewhat vacantly.

With each other support, the mother-and-daughter pair calmed down fairly quickly.

In the meantime, Tahera kept on hitting the doorbell. She didn't push it in a hurry but slowly at a constant interval. Each one sounded like a requiem beyond the grave. Finally, the door slid open to reveal a small crack.

Ruma glared at Tahera from behind the door, asking, "Tahera, what are you doing here?"

Tahera returned her glare and said plainly, "You honestly don't know why I'm here?"

Ruma snorted. "How would I know that? In any case, you are not welcome here! Leave immediately or this might turn physical!"

"Fine, then let's have it your way," Tahera launched a kick at the door, knocking Ruma and Riya back. They collapsed to the floor like a pair of dominoes.

"Tahera, what are you doing‽" Riya and Ruma screamed in unison.

They didn't expect Tahera to be so audacious.

"What am I doing?" Tahera stepped into the room gracefully, stared down at them and said, "Of course to collect my debt."

Ruma's eyes shuddered briefly. "What debt? I warn you, if you don't leave right this moment, I'll chase you out myself!"