36. The Results

You think you got the best of me
Think you had the last laugh
Bet you think that everything
good is gone
Think you left me broken down
Think that I'd come running back
You don't know me,
'cause you're dead wrong

"Then we shall await the test result." The moment Tahera finished her words, the staff members from the testing committee appeared in the room.

"The results are here!" Someone yelled excitedly. Almost instantly, everyone turned towards the staff who'd just walked in.

The committee's chairperson stepped forth and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, all the software submitted by the companies have been fully tested. I have the result in my hands, I'll announce it now."

The chairperson pulled out a remote, aimed it at the TV screen and clicked. At that moment, the atmosphere in the room was the most nervous it had ever been!

Selim was a bundle of nerves. He stared at the TV screen unblinkingly, his entire body tensed. Aaban and Murad felt their hearts stop from an overload of anxiety. Even Parvez held his breath waiting for the result...

The ranking finally appeared clearly on screen. Everyone could see it. The first place was... X PC Manager!

The committee chairperson picked up the microphone and said, "Congratulations to the first place winner, X PC Manager."

"This is impossible!" Selim rushed to the front of the crowd, his eyes glued to the screen. "Something is wrong! How can I be beaten by a newly written software!"

The chairperson wasn't privy to what happened earlier so he consoled Selim kindly. "CEO Mirza, there's nothing wrong. Both of your products underwent the same test, being assaulted by 100 different strains of computer viruses. X PC Manager didn't fail once but yours failed five times. In other words, the security rate for X PC Manager is 100 percent while yours is 90 percent."

"Impossible! Something is wrong with the test, I demand a retrial!" Selim's face gloomed over. He refused to accept this result.

He insisted adamantly that the result was rigged. He refused to recognize his King Internet Security as worse than X PC Manager.

"Selim Mirza, the result is as clear as day, why are you arguing still?" Murad commented sternly, "Don't be a sore loser!"

Selim zeroed in on him, his gaze as chilly as the grave... Murad was unfazed. In fact, he returned Selim a similarly chilly gaze.

His hatred towards Selim was bubbling to the surface. Now that Selim had lost, of course he was not going to let him off the hook so easily.

"I had no idea CEO Mirza was such a sore loser. Don't you forget about the promise you've made before the whole room!"

"That's right, Selim Mirza. We've not forgotten about your bet. You lost, so come out with it. Or are you going to argue your way out of this one as well?"

"I'm sure a person of CEO Mirza's stature wouldn't go back on his own words, right?" CEO Wajid mocked.

"Then, Selim Mirza, quickly admit defeat!"

"Yes, admit to the crowd that you've lost!"

The cries for him to surrender kept on coming. Selim looked around him and every face he saw had that satisfying smirk. He felt his vision go dark.

He didn't expect this day would ever come, the day where his ego would be trampled into the ground. It was all thanks to Tahera.

Not only that, even Mirza Corps' professional reputation was scattered to the wind. Following that would be the collapse of his profit... It was all over.