Three: Unwanted Goodbye

Lana's P.O.V.

I take a deep breathe and lift my head up from its resting place on my knees. Slowly I stand up and go into a bathroom to splash cold water on my face. Then I go to meet my mom at the front door.

"Hey sweetie! How is Aaron today?" She asks.

"He's been doing good today. We got matching tattoos." I say slowly, testing her reaction.

"Oh! That's so cute!" she replies smiling.

I smile back and we walk up to Aaron's room in silence. As I open the door I watch Aaron close my laptop and he has a huge smile on his face. Did I mention I hate surprises? And when my friends buy me gifts. I just feel like I won't ever be able to repay them.

"Oh Aaron!" My mom says while running over to give him a hug. She's kind of like his second mother, considering his parents ran out on him.

"Hey, Mrs. J." He says smiling.

"I brought us dinner! Well Chinese food..." Mom said. She never considered any kind of take out food a real dinner. But she snuck it in here for us.

"Thanks mom!" I say reaching for a piece of chicken.

We spend about an hour or two just sitting and talking. Most of it's spent eating but none of us mind the comfortable silence that seems to fall between us.

I glance at the clock. "Shit! It's almost nine!" I say standing up quickly. Visiting hours end at eight and even though the staff don't mind when my mom stays a little longer then she should, I do.

"Mom you gotta leave..." I say looking down at her. She must see my urgency to talk to Aaron alone so she nods her head and smiles at me. Then she stands up and gives me a hug and a kiss on the cheek then walks over to Aaron and does the same to him. Then she grabs her bag and before she walks out the door she turns around and looks at both of us one more time.

"I love you both!" She yells.

"Love you too!" Aaron and I yell back at the same time.

As soon as the door slams shut behind her I start to cry again and I turn to Aaron. He's already moved over on his bed, creating space for both of us to sleep tonight.

"Hang on, let me put my PJ's on, once I lay down I'm not getting up again." I manage through tears.

I grab my sweats and a baggy plain white shirt that must have been Aaron's at one point and make my way into the bathroom. As I pull on the sweats and the shirt ,I grab my toothbrush and run it over my teeth a few times. Before opening the bathroom door and climbing into the space next to Aaron. I put my head on his shoulder and turn my face towards his horrid hospital gown. It still smells like him.

"I'm sorry Lana. I'm so sorry." He whispers into my hair.

"D-Don't apologize Aaron. I just.. I don't want to think about it yet. I don't want you to ever leave me." I whisper the last part and squeeze my eyes shut as even more tears threaten to fall.

"I know....." He whispers. Then he takes my chin with his right hand and makes me look him in the eyes. "Lana, I don't want to leave you. I hate the fact that you'll be all alone down here without me. I hate that I have to do this too you. You know that. I didn't want this to happen....... But everything happens for a reason... " he says.

"I don't care what the reason is.. " I whisper looking away from him. "I'll give up whatever life changing event could come from losing you. Just to keep you." I whisper.

Aaron sighs. "Lana....... You know that can't happen."

That did it. I feel like waterfalls erupted behind my eyes. "I-I-I-I k-k-know.." I murmur turning my head back down to Aaron's chest.