Twenty: Small Bump

Niall's P.O.V.

--Two Weeks Later--

I bite my lip as I pull out yet another piece of lined paper from the package that Liam bought for me two weeks ago. It's been sixteen days. Each one spent writing another letter to Lana. The things she would want to hear, or things she may not, I write her about how Liam is, and the rest of the boys. I write her about how El sits with her everyday for exactly an hour, and doesn't let anyone else in. 

I write her about how much I love her, and miss her. How much my heart aches to see her brilliant blue eyes open, and how much I wish I could see her smile. I carefully think for a minute before pulling my pencil out from behind my ear and scribbling down the date.

"Dear Lana,

It's been sixteen days since I last got to tell you that I love you. Sixteen days since I saw you smile, or tasted the sweet taste of your lips on mine. I miss the way you twist a piece of your hair when you get frustrated. And the way you pout when I don't cook you what you want for breakfast. I miss the happy look you get in your eyes after I kiss you. I miss everything about you right now..."

I sigh not being able to write anymore. I've been repeating myself everyday for the last two weeks, I feel like I'm starting to give up hope. I stand up, leaning over Lana to place a kiss gently to her forehead and Zayn walks in, holding a few different sharpies in his hand. He just stands there and looks at me.

Zayn's been pretty quiet since this whole thing started, knowing to give me the space I need, but he's been shutting out Pierre too. I look at the colored pens in his hand. Purple and red. 

"Adding to your little story today?" I ask. Zayn has been doodling little characters onto Lana's cast and creating a little cartoon to entertain her with when she wakes up. 

He smiles and nods and I know that's the best response I'll get out of him. I start to make my way out of the room but pause for a moment as I hear Zayn mutter something about smoking, then force myself to leave him alone with Lana, knowing nothing will hurt her while he's with her.

-------------------------------

Zayn's P.O.V.

Niall pauses near the door, and I hear him draw in a breath like he's about to say something but he decides against it and walks out of the room. I settle myself in the uncomfortable chair at Lana's side, knowing it will be my home for as long as Lana is sick. 

Sick. That's all I've been calling it. Occasionally responding to a few concerned fans on twitter, telling them that Lana is just sick. I sigh as I start to scribble small characters onto Lana's cast.

"It's been sixteen days bub. Sixteen days and not one goes by where I don't considering picking up a cigarette. But I don't, knowing that if I do you'll just stay away longer as a punishment to me.... Niall's really broken love. He hasn't eaten in days, said it was because it didn't feel right. I mean Niall never turns down food... " I mutter as I finish my next section of cartoon. 

I smile at the small drawing and stand up, leaning over and kissing Lana on the cheek before exiting her room. I find Niall asleep on the bench directly outside of the door and Eleanor staring at nothing. 

She hasn't spoken to Lou ever since the accident. I don't think she's spoken to any of us except Liam when we first got here. She looks up as she sees me coming out of Lana's room and squeezes past me as I try to stop her from going in. I've been the only one trying to reconnect her with the people who will support her hurt.