Nineteen: Fear Is What It Really Is

Liam's P.O.V.

Everything seems to move in slow motion as Niall throws Lana to the ground and I hear the sickening crack of her bones. Before I even know what I'm doing I'm pinning Niall to the wall behind him, and it takes every inch of my self control not to punch him square in the face. 

"Niall. What the fuck!" I yell as I pull him off into another room.

Nothing seems to register in Niall's head as I shove him onto my bed, he just kind of sits there looking at me. Neither of us say anything for a few minutes. 

"Lana wait!!" I hear El yell from the front room. 

I know I should go after her, that she's terrified, and in pain. But I can't bring myself to leave Niall. The hurt finally makes its way into his eyes as he processes what he's done. None of us have ever seen that side of Niall and I hope for Lana's sake that we never have to again. 

I know Niall better than any of the other boys and I know that he would never hurt anyone. I mean, not intentionally. Something happened back there. Something snapped in his head. Maybe it's from the hate, or maybe it was a sense of betrayal from Lana, but all I know is that I'm scared to be sitting next to my best mate right now, and I shouldn't be. 

Eleanor comes flying into the room and before I can stop her she punches Niall in the face. He lets out a groan but let's her give it to him.

"Niall fucking Horan! You dumbass, what the actual fuck did you just do? You just broke Lana's wrist, and nearly both of her arms!!! What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She screams. 

I can't help but side with her, but I stay quiet. 

We all just sit there and stare at each other for a minute before Zayn comes running into the room, out of breath with his eyes wide open. He looks like he's about to be sick and as his eyes rest on Niall I can see sympathy flash threw his facial expressions.

"You got something to say Zayn?" I ask quietly.

He lets out a sigh before turning his focus to me, instead of directing his next words at the still stunned Niall. 

"There was just an accident in front of the hotel.... An eighteen wheeler hit the cab that a fan reported Lana climbing into... Harry's out there now with Louis. They don't know if she'll make it to the hospital in time..." Zayn whispers, eyes glazing over.

El collapses to the floor, a small sob escaping from her lips. Niall lets his head hang lower, and I watch carefully as a steady stream of tears fall from his eyes. I stand up and walk out the door, wanting to get to the hospital as soon as I can.

--------2 Hours Later---------

"The truck didn't hit her side of the cab but we're lucky she's even still alive. She's covered in lacerations, and her left leg is broken. Also a large glass shard from the window shield impaled her abdomen..." The doctor states, pausing to look down at his clipboard.

My head snaps up as he mutters the word abdomen. "Wait, I'm sorry what?" I ask quietly.

"She was impaled on a glass shard from the window shield." The doctor repeats, looking at me more seriously now. "Why?" He asks. 

My heart drops to my stomach. If Lana was impaled through her abdomen then the baby... "She's pregnant.." I mutter through gritted teeth as I recall the whole situation that caused this whole mess. 

The doctor shakes his head. "Not anymore she's not. Damage like that would definitely cause miscarriage." 

I gape at him as he walks away. "You can go in and sit with her, but it could be a few days before she shows any sings of  waking up at all." He calls over his shoulder.