Chapter 53: Kill the Reaper

After falling the western road a short ways, (F/N) finds the break in the trees that the Reaper told him was there. Once he is at this spot (F/N) realizes that if he just kept following the road, he may yet survive. However, he knows that he must turn off the road and follow the path between the trees.

Once (F/N) starts down the path between the trees, he keeps walking in the straight line. To his surprise the path goes straight through a danger beast infested area. Figuring that he should save his strength for the upcoming battle with the Reaper, (F/N) goes around the danger beasts.

As (F/N) continues to follow the path for two days and nights, sleeping out in the wilderness, he does not come across the cabin that the Reaper had mentioned. He also does not see the Reaper anywhere as he is traveling. To add to this, the path has led into a snow covered area resulting in (F/N) camping out in the snow during the second night.

During the third day of his travel, (F/N) passes by an old tree that appears like it is on the verge of dying. He thinks nothing of this tree as he continues to move along the path. This soon changes, as (F/N) suddenly senses a presence nearby. He moves to the side just as a bullet flies by where his head was, grazing his cheek.

Knowing immediately where the shot came from, (F/N) rushes towards the tree. He draws his katana as he runs, preparing to do battle with the foe that just shot at him. As he is doing so a figure drops out of the tree to the ground in front of (F/N). (F/N) knows immediately that the person in front of him is the Reaper.

It is clear to (F/N) that the Reaper does not intend on talking this time, but that the succession battle has already begun. For this reason, (F/N) rushes forward at the Reaper, preparing to strike. As he swings his sword, the Reaper puts up his left arm and the blade bounces off what (F/N) guesses is a metal gauntlet on the Reaper's left arm.

Only a second after (F/N) has swung his blade, the Reaper draws Shiryu and swings at (F/N). Reacting quickly. (F/N) is able to dodge the blade. He then quickly brings his own sword up to block a dagger strike from a hidden dagger that the Reaper threw with his left hand.

After successfully blocking the dagger, (F/N) engages the Reaper in sword combat. The two clash blades over and over, as the Reaper uses the form that he taught (F/N) years ago. Since (F/N) has yet to become the Reaper, he does not and has not used that sword form. However, he knows it well which allows him to avoid getting struck by the Reaper's attacks.

While the two continue to trade blows with one another with (F/N) primarily on the defensive, they slowly work their way toward the edge of a cliff. (F/N) can tell what the Reaper is planning to do, and allows it to look like the Reaper's plan to knock him off the cliff with work.

Just as (F/N) has reached the edge of the cliff, he lunges forward at the Reaper. As expected the Reaper brings his blade up to parry, (F/N)'s lunge. However, that was not the attack (F/N) was primarily trying to use. Instead he throws Sasu with his left hand, as the Reaper is blocking the katana strike.

To (F/N)'s great pleasure he sees Sasu stab into the Reaper's side. Since blood immediately falls onto the white snow that the two of them are standing on, (F/N) knows that the dagger made contact. He takes this chance to put a little bit of distance between the cliff and himself before turning back to strike at the now paralyzed Reaper.

Much to (F/N)'s surprise, as he swings at the Reaper, the Reaper quickly turns around and blocks the blow with Shiryu. The confusion (F/N) is feeling must be showing on his face as the Reaper says, "Using danger beast scorpion poison is a great tool for an assassin. You should never expect it to paralyze a foe for long though. For one such as me, its effect only lasts a few seconds."