Chapter 35: Tatsumi's Undercover Mission

During the time that F/N is gone searching for the forty-eighth Teigu, the other members of Night Raid return to their usual activities. Tatsumi and Lubbock begin training much harder, so that they can make up for the loss of Bulat. As time goes on Mine's arm heals and she is able to return to doing missions. Over all, despite the death of Bulat and the disappearance of F/N, Night Raid is able to continue to function as normal.

The day that Mine's arm heals, Najenda announces that she will be heading to the Revolutionary Army's headquarters to take the three Teigu they got from the Three Beasts to base. She also plans on seeing if she can get any new recruits for Night Raid. While Najenda is gone she leaves Akame in charge of Night Raid's affairs. While Akame does not not like being given command, she accepts the job as it is temporary.

Shortly after Najenda leaves, Tatsumi is out patrolling the Capital and then heads to the bookstore Night Owl, which is owned by Lubbock. Lubbock leads him downstairs to where Night Raid has a secret base inside of the Capital. Leone reports to the two of them that Esdeath is forming a new team. The team is to be called the Jaegers. While in the secret base Lubbock and Leone tell Tatsumi more about Esdeath and why she is so dangerous. Then after this Lubbock holds up a flyer.

Lubbock: "If you want to get a better idea of who Esdeath is, she is hosting a martial arts tournament today. You could go and apply. It could be a good chance to get some extra money to send back to your village."

Tatsumi: "Alright I like that idea."

As Tatsumi heads to the arena for the tournament, Leone and Lubbock follow behind to watch the matches. With the tournament underway, Tatsumi notes that none of the competitors seem to be all that strong. He is slated to fight in the last match of the day against someone called Kalbi the Butcher. Tatsumi hopes he will be able to win the match without too much of an issue.

The second to last match concludes and Tatsumi gets ready for his match.

Announcer: "Now for our final match of the day we have Kalbi the butcher against Tatsumi the blacksmith."

Kalbi: "You don't stand a chance against me. You are so small. Before I got kicked out I was a level nine master at the Imperial Fist temple."

Tatsumi thinks: "Maybe a few months ago this guy would intimidate me. Not now after all my training though. I can beat him without Incursio."

Tatsumi has a determined look in his eyes. The match begins. Tatsumi quickly pushes Kalbi back in the fight and then jumps and delivers a strong kick to Kalbi's head. With that Kalbi is knocked unconscious. As soon as Tatsumi wins the crowd starts cheering and he lets out a big smile.

To everyone's surprise shortly after the match ends General Esdeath comes down to the field herself and walks up to Tatsumi. She says, "Allow me to give you your prize." Then to Tatsumi's as well as Lubbock and Leone's surprise Esdeath puts a collar around Tatsumi and drags him out of the arena saying that he is now hers. He tries to resist and gets knocked out and carried back to the Jaegers' base inside the palace.

Once at the Jaegers' base, Tatsumi is tied to a chair in front of all the Jaegers so that Esdeath can introduce him to the team. Among their members are Wave, Kurome, Bols, Dr. Stylish, Seryu, and Run. Tatsumi learns that General Esdeath is in charge of the team herself.

Esdeath: "This is Tatsumi. As of today he will be joining us as the newest member of the Jaegers as well as my lover. He seems a bit hesitant about being my lover, so I was wondering if any of you had any experience in a relationship."

The white-masked Bols raises his hand.

Wave: "You have a girlfriend?"

Bols: "A beautiful wife of six years and a daughter."