Chapter 8: The Young Assassin Part 2

Once F/N has finished his first mission as a sole assassin, he decides he likes doing this for a job. F/N starts to form a plan for his new job as an assassin. He decides that since the Imperial soldiers may still be after him, that he will find jobs himself and not take the bounty hunting jobs that are posted around town. On the occasions where he is able to, he plans to take some of the valuable items that belong to the person he kills as compensation for the job, much like he did with the rapist.

Soon F/N starts to hear rumors around the Capital about a serial killer that has been going around slaughtering people. At first F/N is worried they are referring to him, but after learning more he discovers that the targets always have their throats ripped out. Since F/N has never done this he decides that there is a real serial killer on the loose, so he makes this person his next target. As the serial killer only attacks at night, F/N decides to sleep in the forest during the day and be in the Capital at night, until he has killed the serial killer.

Two nights into his hunt for the serial killer, F/N hears a loud scream near his location and rushes to that area. When he arrives he finds that it came from an alleyway and that there is a woman dead in the alley. F/N is about to jump down to check on her, but sees guards coming so he changes his mind. One thing that he does notice is that the serial killer is nowhere to be seen. This is strange to F/N as it took him under a minute to get to the alley so he figures he should have at least seen the killer.

As a precaution, F/N waits on top of a building as the guards check the dead body. F/N can tell by their reaction that the victim has had her throat ripped out just as all the other victims. With the guards so distracted, they don't see a shadow that moves out from behind an overturned trash can and starts to sneak away from the alley. F/N thinks, No wonder the guards never catch this guy. They are too stupid to even notice he is getting away. He just walked right by them while they were busy looking at the woman. I guess I should not be surprised though as the man did move silently by them. I guess I could have missed him if I was not trained to notice all of my surroundings."

Once the man gets past the guards he prepares to make a full on run to get away. However, he does not get far as an arrow is lodged in his back before he is even out of the alley. This arrow was fired by F/N who could tell the man was getting ready to run. The guards do notice the sound of the man dying and rush over to see what happened. Some of them look up to see if they can find the killer. However, F/N has already fled from the area and is out of sight by the time they try to look for him.

When the guards get to the man who has been shot they find out that there is blood all around his mouth, and on his hands. At first the guards think this came from the man when he got shot by the arrow. This idea soon changes as the guards realize that the blood on the man is dried blood. If it had come from the arrow shot, it should not be dry already. Looking into the man further it is determined by them that he is the serial killer that has been running around the Capital killing people. Since they never saw who killed him the guards decide to take credit and go to collect the bounty that was on the man's head.

After dealing with the serial killer, F/N returns to his usual method of work. He gathers intel in the day and then kills targets at night. Since the targets appear to be random to everyone, and there are no witnesses that will testify what happened, the guards are not sure if it is the same person doing all the killing or someone else. F/N prefers it this way, as he would rather that the guards not put together that he is the one that is going around killing so many people.

Despite the guards having no evidence to support it, some of them start to believe that a single assassin has been doing all of the killings. Since every killing that occurs is done at night, the Imperial police start to have more people on duty at night. In addition, to the added number of guards in the city, the Empire puts up wanted posters for an unknown assassin. F/N finds these posters humorous as they have next to no information on them. Basically all that it says is the assassin uses a bow, as well as a sword, and throwing knives. This is not of too much concern to F/N, but he decides to not kill a target every night anymore to decrease the Imperial police's interest in him.

One day after F/N has been working as an assassin for a while, a caravan goes through the forest while he is in it taking a day off. Looking at the caravan, F/N can tell that it is a slave caravan that has been gathering up people to be sold in the Capital. F/N decides that these men will have to die as well, and he will set the slaves free. However, before he strikes, F/N plans his strike while eavesdropping on the men in the caravan.

Slave Trader 1: "You know we sure got a big haul this time didn't we Lord Marshal."

Marshal: "Yeah we did some good work on this trip. I also have had a lot of fun breaking all these slaves in. I forgot how much fun this could be."

Slave Trader 2: "I think you enjoy it a little too much. Ever since that one slave woman managed to hide your son from you so long, I have noticed you enjoy raping the slaves more often."

Marshal: "Yeah that was a real mess. However, I learned from it. By selling off all the children that they bear me, I can make a nice amount of pocket change. At least that slave girl gave me a good idea. I would never have come up with that if that slave had not managed to hide her pregnancy so well. It still bugs me that a slave managed to get that baby boy to safety. I am sure the boy has died a long time ago. It is not my problem even if he is still alive somehow though."

Slave Trader 1: "Doesn't it worry you to have so many slave children running around. You may be making money off of them, but they are partly related to you and could come looking for you."

Marshal: "No I don't care. If they show up I will just enslave them. Money is worth more than any problems they could cause me."

At this point the slave traders are in the ideal position for F/N to strike, so he does. Using his bow he kills two of them. This throws the slave traders into a panic and they start to fire guns randomly in the trees to try and hit him. F/N drops to the ground and kills several more of the traders using his dagger. As some of them rush at him, F/N throws several of his throwing knives which all kill the targets he aimed them at. Before too long the only surviving people in the area are F/N, Marshal, and the slaves.

Marshal begins to rush at F/N, and then stops. Marshal says, "Impossible you look a lot like me. There is no way you are that brat I had all those years ago. You have ruined my business now. So I will be killing you now." F/N looks at him blankly, completely oblivious to the fact this man is his father. As Marshal draws a gun to fire at F/N, F/N moves swiftly to a location behind one of the carts. Marshal laughs, "If you are going to hide I will just start shooting the slaves."

The gun discharges and F/N sees one of the slaves collapse having been shot. F/N does not particularly care, as his main focus is to kill this man, not to save all of the slaves. Marshal continues to shoot the slaves and F/N silently climbs on top of the cart Marshal is by and maneuvers to be almost directly above him. F/N then jumps from his position and swings his sword as he falls. The katana goes clear through Marshal's neck, decapitating him.

With all of the slave traders now dead, F/N moves in to unlock all of the slave cages. The slaves all seem to be terrified of him, but he does not pay attention to them as he moves along the line unlocking cage after cage. Soon all of the cages that were holding the slaves have been unlocked. F/N then runs into the forest not paying any attention to the slaves as they watch the boy that freed them disappear into the forest. Some of the slaves follow after him to thank him and are killed by danger beasts in the forest. The rest of the slaves make their way to the Capital hoping to pass themselves off as refugees. As the slaves are western people, most of them end up getting recaptured and sold into slavery once again. None of this matters to F/N though, as his main goal is to kill the people he sees as evil in the world regardless of who they may be. He is not terribly concerned with what happens to those that he has rescued.