Chapter 40: Kill the Slavers

Soon after returning to the Capital F/N and Tatsumi are out on a hunting mission. The two of them have gone to hunt danger beasts that are near the new base in hopes of scaring them away. Night Raid has been sending teams out to scare the danger beasts way for a while now and have almost succeeded. Najenda feels that after F/N and Tatsumi have finished the team will have successfully pushed the danger beasts far enough away to not have to worry about constant attacks from them.

In order to help with F/N's headaches the team has also decided to capture animals to be stored in a shed near the base that F/N can go in and kill each morning to help with his headaches. Chickens can also provide eggs for the team, which is why they have been chosen as the animal to capture. As such F/N and Tatsumi have also gone to try and capture any wild chickens in the area.

With both F/N and Tatsumi working together they are able to catch several large chickens with ease, which they are now taking in cages back to Night Raid's base. F/N noticed on this mission that Tatsumi had gotten much stronger than when he first saw him fight Captain Ogre. Now F/N is fairly confident that Tatsumi can be a real asset to the team, instead of a hindrance.

Upon arriving at the base, Akame greets the two of them. She says, "The boss wants everyone to meet up for an important assignment that we just got." F/N and Tatsumi quickly drop the caged chickens they have off at the shed and head into the meeting room that Night Raid has in their base. When they arrive the two of them find that they are the last ones to arrive.

Najenda: "Now that everyone is here, I want you to explain what you were told once more for everyone Leone."

Leone: "I received a job request from a young western girl named Air here in the Capital. She told me about how she and her two friends Fal and Luna were sold from their village into slavery to help pay off the debt their village was in. The three girls were sold to a man named Bach here in the Capital. Air told me how he bought the girls clothes when they arrived. He acted really nice to them and then took them back to his mansion. Once there the girls found a group of men there that Bach was planning on selling them to. The men that Bach sold them to told the girls how they loved to see smiling girls and then break them down to a hopeless state. The girls tried to resist getting sold only to be attacked. Fal had both of her legs broken in this effort.

Shortly after trying to escape one of the men cut out both of Luna's eyes thinking that it would be fun. Air was stripped naked and then forcibly violated by one of the men's dogs which was in heat. For the past week this same treatment has been befalling the girls. As a result of all of this harsh treatment Fal has died being tortured to death. According to Air she died having had all of her teeth pulled out and her fingers cut off. Luna finally committed suicide by jumping out of a window in the mansion after all of the horrible things that were done to her. Air has continued to be violated by the dog and has started to act like a dog herself hoping to trick the men. Finally after a week she was allowed outside of the mansion.

Air has made the request to Night Raid that we get revenge for her friends. While she does not have any money to pay us, so we would be working for free I think this is a job we should take. Based on how Air was acting I am sure that her story is true. We should really kill those scumbags.

Najenda: "From the sound of it there are quite a few well armed men at this mansion. It would be best if the whole team went, although as there is no money involved I can understand why you may not want to go. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts."

Tatsumi: "Aren't we fighting to make this world better? If we allow filth like these guys to stay alive we are not really doing what we should be."

Mine: "Things like this are exactly why I joined the revolution, so of course I want to help."

F/N: "These kinds of people are those that I targeted when I was an independent assassin, so I think we should kill them. Even if the team does not go, I will be going."

Najenda: "Very well then Night Raid will accept this assignment. Any of you that don't want to participate will not be required to."

Other than Chelsea, Najenda, and Susanoo the rest of Night Raid makes plans to move out to the mansion immediately. They are split into teams of two in order to help ensure the success of the mission. Leone and Lubbock will attack from the front door, Mine and Tatsumi will attack from the back of the mansion, while Akame and F/N are going to check for and block escape routes.

At Bach's mansion, Bach and the rest of his men are discussing the next crop of young girls they are planning to buy. Since Air is the only one left from the last set, the men are eagerly awaiting when Bach can find some more girls for them to play with. The plan is for Bach to go to the slave market when it comes into the town in three days to buy some more girls for the men to enjoy breaking.

Meanwhile outside of the mansion two of the guards stationed at the front door are smoking. Leone is making her way to the mansion, walking right to the front door in plain sight. The first of the guards sees her coming and is about to alert the men inside when suddenly Leone has reached him and breaks the man's neck. Hearing the neck of his comrade's neck break the other of the men turns to see what caused the sound. He sees Leone, but is unable to do anything as Lubbock quickly ensnares him in threads and cuts the man to ribbons.

At the back of the mansion a huge hole opens up in the wall as Tatsumi, wearing Incursio, kicks right through the wall. From the newly created entrance to the mansion Tatsumi and Mine rush in. Both of them proceed to kill the men inside. Mine is smiling as she kills man after man. Tatsumi is butchering the men, by cutting multiple targets in half with a single swing of his polearm. Both of them are being merciless in eliminating all of the men.

Moments after Mine and Tatsumi enter the mansion, Leone breaks the front door down. She and Lubbock then rush into the mansion to start killing off the men as well. As they are going around killing man after man bodies start to pile up on the floor. Once the entire mansion has been searched the four of them determine that all of the men are dead. As they are leaving Lubbock notices one of the bodies on the floor appears to be breathing. He wraps his threads around the man's neck and hangs him from the chandelier in the mansion.

During all the commotion Bach and two of his men were able to sneak out of the mansion using a secret underground tunnel that goes through sewers. They are making their way through the tunnel when they come upon two figures. Bach recognizes that one of them is Akame.

Bach: "How did you two find out about this tunnel?"

F/N: "We are assassins, and most mansions in the Capital have underground escape routes so it was rather obvious that you would have one."

Bach: "Listen I used to be a slave too. That is why I did what I did. I am just trying to make a living."

Bach quickly pulls his shirt off to reveal a slave brand on his chest. While F/N does not have a slave brand himself, since he was so young when he was sold out of slavery he does know what the brand is. Seeing this brand does not slow Akame even for a second as she lunges forward and drives Murasame straight through the mark. Before the two men with Bach have a chance to react, F/N has drawn two arrows back and shoots both of the men through their heads.

Having finished this part of the mission a thought goes through F/N's head. He thinks, "After all that has happened to her, I wonder if Air is planning on committing suicide. I could understand why she would do that, but still it would be better for her to live than to die. I should probably go and find her." With this plan in his mind, F/N tells Akame what he is thinking and takes off to try and find Air.

F/N rushes to the mansion and goes through the trapdoor that Bach entered the sewers in. He then searches the entire mansion to see if he can find Air. He is unable to do so. Figuring that she probably is on the streets nearby the mansion F/N starts to search the streets nearby. Before too long F/N sees a pink haired girl who appears to match the description that Leone gave of Air.

When F/N arrives at the girl he finds that she has no pulse. Upon closer inspection F/N finds that the girl has a bottle of pills which has clearly been opened recently. Examining the pills in detail, leads to F/N determining that they were poisoned pills. Looking at the dead girl F/N thinks, "I bet this was Air. It looks like I was right and she committed suicide. Up until recently I didn't care if I saved a person's life when I did a job. All I cared about was killing off those that were committing the crimes. Perhaps I have changed since meeting Night Raid. I do have to admit though that this is a change for the better."