Chapter 3: In the West Part 1

Training continues as normal for the boy as Gozuki pushes the boy as hard as he can. After years of laying the ground work Gozuki has now begun in the year 1016 to gather children that he will use in his future assassination squad. The plan is for him to take seven children to add to this squad under the command of the boy he has been training. He plans to hand train each of them as he has trained the boy. This goal is almost in sight as Gozuki receives word that candidates for the project have been gathered on the outskirts of Gifnora Forest.

Gozuki plans to send the gathered children through the danger beast infested Gifnora Forest. He would rather that the boy not be present for the selection of the children, as he is not sure how the boy will affect the outcome of the selection process. If the boy were to rush in to help any of the children, Gozuki is sure the boy would be successful in aiding that child out of the forest. Gozuki would rather that not be the case. He decides to test the boy's resolve to kill a human by sending him away during the selection process.

Gozuki: "I would like you to travel to the western territory of the Empire, to a city that is on the border between the western countries and the Empire. When you arrive there, you are to hunt down and kill the Lord and Lady of the city. They are named Denzel and Alicia. I want you to kill both of them as they have been corrupting the Imperial guards in the city. We are starting to suspect that they are working with enemies of the Empire."

Boy: "So I am to go to this border city, and kill Denzel and Alicia. Is that correct?"

Gozuki: "That is correct. I am giving this job to you to test that you really have what it takes to be an assassin. You are to kill them without hesitation. Is that clear?"

Boy: "After they are dead, do you have further orders for me?"

Gozuki: "No. Return to my home in the Capital once you finish the mission. I may still be gone when you arrive, as I am going to be going to find other members of the assassination team I am forming. They will serve as your subordinates. I want to make sure you have what it takes to be an assassin, before I give you the squad though."

Boy: "Very well. Would you mind telling me what they look like, so I can make sure that I get the right people?"

Gozuki: "Yes, here is a picture of both your targets. Make sure that you kill both of them."

Gozuki hands the boy a piece of paper with a picture of the Lord and Lady of the border city on it.

Gozuki: "Very good. I expect you to succeed."

Boy: "Of course I will. You have trained me since birth for this purpose. I won't even break a sweat dealing with these two."

Gozuki: "I expect nothing less from you. Now be on your way."

The boy leaves later that day equipped with an assortment of weapons. He has a sword, bow, arrows, throwing knives, and a hidden dagger. With all of this equipment the boy is sure the job will not take too long. While he has never had to kill a person before he sees it as no different than killing a danger beast or any other kind of animal. To him this is what he was always trained to do, so it is no big deal to have to kill a person.

Along the way to the border city the boy notices that many of the villages are rather poor. He is surprised by how different the rest of the world is to the Capital and its surrounding areas. To this point the boy has only ever lived in the Capital and Gozuki's mountain home, so he did not realize how poor much of the Empire was. Now that he sees it the boy is slightly concerned. However, as he has already got his mission, he keeps moving onward to the western city without putting too much thought into the state of the world.

Upon arriving at the city the first thing that the boy notices is how dirty it is. There is garbage scattered everywhere. To the boy it appears as if no one is trying to take care of the city at all. As he looks closer he notices that there are a lot of people that are living on the streets. Many of them have strange hair colors such as blue, yellow, green, and pink. The boy finds it odd that there are so many homeless people. He assumes it is the Lord of City's doing. There certainly are homeless people in the Capital, however usually they are all in one area. These people seem to be all over the city.